Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Getting kicked for no ping

I've been playing on your BZ7 Rush server for quite a while and just now am getting kicked automatically for having no ping. I've got ethernet directly into my router, no hotspot, no dorm wifi or anything. Never experienced anything along these lines until now. I had another person who was having the same issue as me, just getting kicked for having no ping. You can probably check the logs to see this as well. What can I do to remedy this situation?

neonardo1

Staff member
Senior Admin
-bZ- Member
You need to find what's blocking your ping and disable it. We enabled no ping kicks as we were having an issue with people blocking them since we have a way to block it/kick them when they spoof them.

Ok. That makes sense then. I don't think my firewall settings changed, but that's the only thing I can think of. I know EA was having loads of trouble with servers for a few hours today, so that could also be it? It's odd, cause I remember distinctly that I never could see my ping before, for as long as I've been playing on your servers. I just thought it was a client side thing where you couldn't see your own ping on the scoreboard.

neonardo1

Staff member
Senior Admin
-bZ- Member
We only recently changed the setting to start kicking for missing ping. It could be anything from antivirus software to your router/firewall/etc.

Well that answers that. I have checked all my settings, everything I can think of and nothing works. Unfortunately I won't be able to play on BZ servers any longer I guess.

-bZ-MrK665

-bZ- Member
Donator
I've been playing on your BZ7 Rush server for quite a while and just now am getting kicked automatically for having no ping. I've got ethernet directly into my router, no hotspot, no dorm wifi or anything. Never experienced anything along these lines until now. I had another person who was having the same issue as me, just getting kicked for having no ping. You can probably check the logs to see this as well. What can I do to remedy this situat

-bZ-MrK665

-bZ- Member
Donator
I've been playing on your BZ7 Rush server for quite a while and just now am getting kicked automatically for having no ping. I've got ethernet directly into my router, no hotspot, no dorm wifi or anything. Never experienced anything along these lines until now. I had another person who was having the same issue as me, just getting kicked for having no ping. You can probably check the logs to see this as well. What can I do to remedy this situation?
Just curious, What Operating systems are you running?

Having a high ping gives an an absurd advantage in a shooter particularly one where the TTK is so low like it is in Hardcore Battlefield. And not showing a Ping usually means some... Nefarious shit is going on.

Plenty of ISPs spoof ping and other times it's a computer issue. It is very rarely ever something the user does themselves. Most cheaters don't even use ping spoofing, so thats just inaccurate.

And as for it giving people advantages, it has to be well beyond 200 to cause lag spikes drastic enough to cause issues in gameplay. Also if it gives such a massive advantage, then why are these people allowed to play just because they paid the bZ monthly subscription service (VIP). That's not logical. Either you are cultivating a good environment for as many people as possible (in which case VIP shouldn't grant ping protection), or you are implementing arbitrary rules in an effort to make people pay to be whitelisted so they are allowed the privilege of playing on the servers. I'm fine if that what bZ wants to do, I pay for VIP anyways, but booting people with no ping when it rarely causes issues, and giving them no solution beyond "pay us" seems a tad ridiculous. At that point it's not a donation, and it's not an effort to benefit the servers with good rules, it's simply a surcharge to play for some people.

Sure it's a donation. The same way you're donating a tip when your server does a good job. You're still trading money for a service.

If it wasn't deemed an issue this thread or the rule behind it wouldn't be here.

I don't think you have a good handle on the definition of donation, so I'll let neo respond since he's actually competent on this issue. Have a pleasant evening.

neonardo1

Staff member
Senior Admin
-bZ- Member
Plenty of ISPs spoof ping and other times it's a computer issue. It is very rarely ever something the user does themselves. Most cheaters don't even use ping spoofing, so thats just inaccurate.

And as for it giving people advantages, it has to be well beyond 200 to cause lag spikes drastic enough to cause issues in gameplay. Also if it gives such a massive advantage, then why are these people allowed to play just because they paid the bZ monthly subscription service (VIP). That's not logical. Either you are cultivating a good environment for as many people as possible (in which case VIP shouldn't grant ping protection), or you are implementing arbitrary rules in an effort to make people pay to be whitelisted so they are allowed the privilege of playing on the servers. I'm fine if that what bZ wants to do, I pay for VIP anyways, but booting people with no ping when it rarely causes issues, and giving them no solution beyond "pay us" seems a tad ridiculous. At that point it's not a donation, and it's not an effort to benefit the servers with good rules, it's simply a surcharge to play for some people.

ISPs don't spoof ping, they can't. That's not how ping works. One side sends a ping and the other side responds. There's no logic to a ping, only the fact that there was a response. The source calculates how long it took to receive the reply and you have a latency reading.

Battlefield doesn't follow traditional pinging and they do use actual data from the client to say what the ping is which is why ping spoofing is possible. They use ICMP, but in the end the client is responsible for reporting to the server what its round trip time was - in a more proper environment the client would simply reply to the server - not be sending requests. I assume they did this because not many places block outbound ICMP, while tons of firewalls block inbound. If they used a standard approach to ping where the server sent the ICMP packets then probably half the players in the game wouldn't display a ping.

Having said all that, the reason we kick for blocked pings is because we're able to detect and kick ping spoofing - ie cases where a person in Asia shows a 15 ping to our server. That's obviously BS so we detect and kick for it. At first when we launched ping spoof detection we didn't kick for blocked ping but we started doing so a bit later as people figured out a way to circumvent the spoofing kicks was to just block it altogether.

Now you might ask why we do that, they're only circumventing our ping kicker and not causing any real harm. The reason is simple - ping spoofing requires injecting into the game which is the same way cheats work. By definition ping spoofing is cheating. There's also the argument that ping reported to the game does have an impact on how the game interprets your data causing advantages/disadvantages to you or others and there is merit to that argument though it is indeed rather small benefit.

Letting VIPs bypass the blocked ping kicker has nothing to do with trying to pull in more donations and is not a money making scheme. It's simply because VIPs are more vetted players that most likely aren't blocking their ping intentionally.

Y'all please stop making mountains out of mole hills.

I was under the impression that isps can in fact send packets to a tertiary location to improve latency during maintence periods (causing spoofing of the original latency). If that's incorrect then I apologize for my mistake on that part.

Plenty of new folks will show no ping (I see level 20s question their lack of ping frequently on 7 before it kicks them), and have no idea why. Seems odd that something can be deemed cheating by BF when the user cannot control it. Why exactly is the lack of a ping some new thing that required a new implemented rule? The reason I bring this up is I have seen multiple regulars get booted for lack of a ping, which is rather obnoxious since they aren't going to pay for VIP but they've been playing longer than most "vetted" people paying for VIP. So if you're going to argue that the only reason VIP allows people to bypass this system is because they're better vetted and it has nothing to do with paying for it, there should be a way for regulars who have spent literal hundreds of hours on your servers to be "vetted" without paying. You whitelist people against KPM bans, so if the argument is that better vetted people get more privileges against the ping rules why is paying the only option you give them to play on the servers?

neonardo1

Staff member
Senior Admin
-bZ- Member
I was under the impression that isps can in fact send packets to a tertiary location to improve latency during maintence periods (causing spoofing of the original latency). If that's incorrect then I apologize for my mistake on that part.
Not sure why everyone thinks that, but no.

Why exactly is the lack of a ping some new thing that required a new implemented rule?

I literally just explained this.