Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Thoughts on bZ7 and the CriscoCube embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dek128

Donator
As a bZ7 regular, at least as of last week, I have some perspective on the situation that I think the bZ admins should consider.

It’s unfortunate but true, at least from my point of view, that bZ admins do not frequent bZ7 during typical peak times, and this has become mostly common knowledge. For all the times I’ve played on bZ7, I have seen Topher play 30-40 times, and Neonardo 3-4 times. I’m not familiar with the other admins, so I can’t attest to whether they frequent bZ7 or not.

Griefing against players who are doing well is a constant concern on the server. Practically speaking, this is unavoidable on any server given the different states of mind in which people play the game (sober, inebriated, elated, dejected, chilled out, angry...). However, the presumed absence of admins means once someone get started with griefing, they very much keep going (unless, of course, they hit upon hard thresholds like the per-game TK limit).

The only practical solution to keep such griefing in check is to have admins around fairly frequently, so people know they can’t go crazy without repercussions. One particular instance from a couple of weeks ago drove this point home to me: I was gunning with Neonardo (just this once) in the attack helo on Dawnbreaker and the friendly LAV decided to TOW us - the griefer was instantly banned for 3 days.

CriscoCube typically does very well in any game he plays on bZ7, given that he is a particularly skilled player. That this grates on other players is easily evidenced by the gargantuan amount of vile smack talk thrown his way on game chat - most of which he seems to ignore quietly. It is therefore not that far-fetched to see how he ends up being a perennial target for griefers. Given the only recourse available to a target is to file complaints on the forum, it is natural to expect a steady stream of such reports from him.

I find it alarming that bZ members are trolling him on various forum threads for posting these complaints, given how “no griefing” is rule #1 for the community. What I find more concerning though is that no bZ admins are stepping in to point out in any of these threads that Banzore is against griefing; instead somehow CriscoCube is being accused of “toxicity” (I’m frankly not sure how that argument is being made).

As to all the suggestions he has made so far publicly, I fail to see how the aggregate of CriscoCube’s comments can be seen as anything other than a genuine desire to help make bZ7 better. No server is perfect, or ever intended to be. Even today, the mapvote logic for bZ7 is haplessly broken in that it did not trigger if the attackers win too fast. So what if he criticized the server setup or the map rotation? Is it not fair to seek to improve things that are broken?

In retrospect, I would have urged CriscoCube to use more tact and avoid targeting any one particular person when talking about server improvements. But even that is more a direct consequence of the reality, at least from my limited perspective - it is well-known that Neonardo makes all the decisions regarding server configuration. I think it’s fair to expect to bear some of this ire when you are the sole decision maker and you may not be available sometimes for long periods of time. (To be clear, I don’t think anyone is expected to be “on call” for what is, at the end of the day, a game).

As admins, you have the privilege of making the final calls for the community. I have genuinely been impressed by the calm, dispassionate manner in which Neonardo & Topher have handled multiple contentious ban appeal threads. However, as admins, I think you also own the responsibility of acting as guardians of the community you seek to cultivate - is it really in the interest of that community to impose punitive actions for seeking justified recourse & server quality-of-life improvements?

Practically speaking, I have no dog in this race now, given I’m not friends with CriscoCube anymore. I’m merely interested in seeing a fair outcome pass.

neonardo1

Staff member
Senior Admin
-bZ- Member
I’m merely interested in seeing a fair outcome pass.

Me too.

I'm really tired so I'll reply in more detail tomorrow. The gist of it is, I agree with everything you've said. Do we need more active adminning on #7? Absolutely. Have we found the right person for the job yet? Nope. The reason for Crisco's mute and subsequent ban has nothing to do with much of this though. It's from a longstanding problem of the way he treats admins (in public and private), the way he talks about bZ, and in general the drama that follows him. We're here to have fun and he takes away from that.

Call it a badmin move or whatever you want, but this is the resolution to an issue that has festered for far too long.

Punish points are given out based on context. Just because we say we punished someone doesn't mean they got a certain number of points. If someone shoots a teammates mortar we're not going to just long term ban someone for that. If a player kills someone else in the heat of the moment out of anger that' usually a point or 3 which would be an admin kill (if they're in the server) or 24h temp ban if they're not. If someone seeks out another player or swaps teams to TK them, etc. that's treated more harshly and would skip straight to more points and a longer temp ban. That's the case with the TOW TK which I sort of remember. It's all about context and "punished" as a reply in the forums doesn't always just mean they got the least possible punishment.

I don't think our members or admins should've given him the grief that they/we did but we also can't control what members do. We have certain expectations of members and whatnot, but when you're a dick to the community, especially to our admins then our members and other community players take offense to that, especially when they see the time and effort that goes into keeping things running as smoothly as perfect. We're not perfect, never will be, but he didn't have to be such a dick all the time.

The buck stops with me, yes, but most decisions are run by our other admins.

In the end we got tired of putting up with him and his antics.

Ok so that was about all the detail I had after all and pretty much sums up my thoughts.

EDIT: Just to be clear, the reports of griefing from him here in the forums were never the issue.

dek128

Donator
Thanks for the considered response, Neonardo.

The main reason I brought up that TOW TK instance is because it lays bare the power disparity between admins & normal players - I genuinely believe that if I had gone through the normal channels and just posted a complaint in the forum, a bZ admin would have imposed a much less severe punishment due to the lack of context (which is, practically speaking, hard to capture & provide in every case).

I obviously can’t talk to any of the private conversations due to my lack of context. Based on what I can surmise from the public conversations, the typical flow is: CriscoCube reports someone, or asks for accountability, or calls out some unfair action (griefing, for instance), and then bZ members start with the trolling. I can see how things can spin out of control from that point forward, and everyone shares equal responsibility for the drama beyond that point. For instance, calling out that someone applying to join bZ a second time is a persistent griefer shouldn’t be cause to commiserate and gloat with said griefer, and begin trolling. An admin should step in and stop things from getting out of hand, especially if it continues for a long time.

In my opinion, imposing an orthogonal action - the game chat mute that started the last confrontation - sent the wrong message: A mute would have done very little to curb any of things that CriscoCube was accused of in the first place. It seemed like a purely punitive action for taking up too many admin resources.

I think this will have a chilling effect on future reports & suggestions for improvements. The short-term outcome may seem alluring - fewer threads for admins to deal with. The long-term repercussions are not hard to predict either - bZ7 will become more of safe haven for griefers, until a persistent solution is employed (active admins or admin assistants?).

My best guess is that much of the latent hostility that bZ admins perceive from CriscoCube is because one or more of them have told him directly & indirectly in the past to “stop complaining” & “just play the game”. This sort of rancor can slowly build up over time. I think the main point that eludes the admins is that they have a radically different experience when they themselves are a target of griefing, and this disparity disproportionately affects skilled non-admin players.

A large part of the responsibility to reconcile such fissures in the relationship lies with CriscoCube (by employing more tact), but it is equally important for the community guardians to not lose their cool and act out of emotional fatigue. For what it’s worth, that’s how I gauge the maturity of a community - their ability to continue to espouse their ideals even when their feet are held to the fire.

-bZ-AngrySalsa

Christmas man
Staff member
-bZ- Member
BF4 Admin
I will drop my two cents.

This "me versus you" mentality needs to come to an end.

I have been with Banzore since 2013, and our group has had over 500 members spanning over the course of 12 years, from all walks of life. This group didn't even start from battlefield in 2009. Hell I joined up from Dayz of all games.

There have been ups and downs for sure, some of the people that I have played games with over the years aren't even around anymore, some have family responsibility, some have jobs; some have even passed away and aren't around to game with us any longer...

This issue regarding Crisco and the "toxicity" that everyone keeps throwing back and forth isn't just related to the server; over the course of several months things have been said that attack our community, and there is usually retaliation in kind. This is not okay. It's a two way street, and things just keep on escalating and it needs to come to a stop. Neo is not "the glorious leader". He is a very talented and bright individual that wants to keep a game that is getting up in years going. If you go back and read all of Crisco's recommendations over the past 9 months you will see a reasonable response as to why something will or will not work. I cannot personally attest or respond to some of the map change type details or in depth plugins that handle the back end of the game. There is a lot that goes into the back end of keeping these going in the quality that they are that the general person is just not going to know about.

All of the servers, all 7 of them need to have eyes on, I do not disagree whatsoever with that. But the purpose of what we are trying to do is to not micromanage. You said it right, it is not going to be perfect, ever. I don't think that there will ever be a multiplayer game that will have 110% perfect, no hackers, no griefers, no shit talk etc etc.

In general, I feel we are doing well in keeping things running, it can absolutely be improved. But its not a 1 day process. At the end of the day, everyone here is just wanting to play the game. It is not "just shut up and play the game", that was never the thought process.

We just want to play the fucking game.

As a bz7 regular and general rush player from what I have seen their is a fair bit of greifing on the bz7. Especially if you use vehicles and you are good with it, many of the time you have to watch more closely to teammates trying to c4 or purposely get tkd than any enemy.
Crisco was mainly the target for this as he was particularly good with vehicles. But the majority of greifing came from when he would mortar and ucav. This lead to many of his reports.

now I don't understand the ban for crisco on the bf servers or even the muting, it could have been just kept to the discords and threads if he got too pushy (which I don't think would help as he reports and I'm sure the greifing would just get more outta hand). And I'm sure much of his frustration came from the lack of admins on bz7 because by the time someone is banned for griefing it tends take a long time (couple days at times) compared to if an admin was on the server. I have seen many times admins being trolled when they mortar and ucav and they ban players for a day for it immediately. Overall I really agree with Dek on this, admins complain that he reports to much on a server admins don't even play on for the most part...

To provide a bit of further clarity here; from all I have seen, him trashing bZ was caused directly by the trolling and general apathy of the admin staff. When the bZ7 server started, I saw Crisco bring tons of people over from the failing GMH and LSD rush servers and was actively helping in making your rush server successful. During the first few months of 7, I always saw him being chill with the bZ members. However the griefing started becoming a problem in 7, and the trolling by the bZ community became pretty flagrant. To the point where before I was even friends with Crisco, I had to intercede in the discord member channel frequently asking people to chill out in the forums because it made us all look bad. Crisco could have populated his own server instead, but brought people over here. Having people in bZ essentially give him the middle finger without repercussions constantly when Neo stated in the discord that he had removed of all the trolls in bZ would be rather irritating to anyone. Neo, you have even agreed that Crisco was being harrassed in the forums and said it shouldn't be condoned. Yet no correction seems to have come on your end that had lasting effect. One of the admins has called crisco "just a complainer who brings the griefing on himself by rubbing people the wrong way" so again, I can see why he had a general lack of anything resembling penis or tact with the staff here.

Couple that with constantly being told that having an admin who plays consistently on 7 "wouldn't change anything", which I've been told by 2 different admins, yet whenever an admin plays on the server it frequently results in at least one person being perm banned. Hell, that JJ_BLT guy got instantly perm-banned and had to appeal multiple times, and he only teamkilled Neo one single time. Meanwhile what he did is something that happens to us regulars multiple times a night. We submit reports and see them "punished" and a couple days later, oh their back and still being dicks, hope their next punish might actually be permanent. Not once have you ever stated you are looking for an admin for 7. Salsa and Topher tell us it wont make any difference, you tell us that you aren't currently looking for an admin. The regulars and I prepare an actual formal proposal four months ago (12/01/2020) basically begging you to provide more admin presence to 7, and it goes entirely ignored to our knowledge (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-YP1hDBHVhHyl_pGqIOlqRqCF5Nxj65OSewGC90uWFA/edit?usp=sharing). All of this results in a community that is going to be pissed off at the people in charge.

I operate under the idea that you don't bite the hand that feeds you, which is why I rarely if ever make a straight up negative comment about bZ in-game. Yes I argue my points on the forum when I think it is for a worthwhile change that would improve the server, but in general I keep my nose out of your business. So could Crisco have gone at this a different way, 100%. But the admins here do in fact hold a large part of the responsibility for why things got to this point. You failed to discipline the members of bZ and allowing them to trash a loyal regular constantly (hell crisco has put more hours into 7 than all of the bz members/admins put together and then some). You failed to be clear with any of us when we put the effort in to put together a formal document asking for you to give us all a hand, making it appear that the admin team didn't give a damn about the regulars that populate your server 7. You and the admins tell us that having an admin will make no difference, but go ban-happy whenever YOU get griefed in the server, something that is a constant issue for us to deal with. All of this has lead to a lot of people from 7 becoming incredibly jaded with you and the admin team. It's why I left bZ. appreciate everything that you, salsa, assault, and topher do to help the servers, and no matter how much I argue with you, I do wish you to know that I realize that without you all we would have NO good North American rush server to play on. You all dont get paid, and I've always said that I dont expect you guys to be on 24/7.

Had you disciplined the members of bZ that were trolling a regular, this wouldn't have been an issue. Had you been clear with us that you were looking for an admin for 7 (despite the fact that a rush player has little to no chance at getting into the clan since there aren't enough rush players there to vote them in, this was an issue when I was one of only 3 rush players trying to vote new rush players in and always not having enough votes), this wouldn't have been an issue. There are plenty of things you could have done to mitigate the multitude of things that brought this situation about, and you failed act on them. That's on you and the admin team Neo. Yes Crisco shares responsibility, and was wrong in how he presented his issues because it was too aggressive when you are the only game in town, but those issues that led to this are of your own making and were your responsibility as leader of bZ to correct.

SilentGhost

-bZ- Member
Donator
I don't play on 7, though I could; I've been on a meatgrinder kick myself the last few years, so I'm nearly always on 2.

But all I needed to hear / see about Crisco was to read some of his posts on the forums.

No respect for other human beings, no tact... just an arsehat that believes they're right and everyone else is wrong, and one that managed to make a very negative impression on the entire community.

Personally I've been impressed with how far Neo, Salsa, Topher, and others have put up with that mess. I'd have pulled the plug much sooner, but I'm not in charge for a reason (I don't frakking want to be).

But since Crisco has managed to finally exhaust the extreme amount of patience that they have been afforded, I wholeheartedly support the vacation that's been handed down.

-bZ-MrK665

-bZ- Member
Donator
This is not General hospital. Soap opera. This is a gaming community for people to have fun and get away from drama and life for awhile. Admins should not have to put up with piddly bs geez, They wanna play too. I don't have much time I run a business kids life in general as for other people, who wants to be a parent cop on here too.
Isn't there a vote for kicks and banns?
When I do, !report where does that go?

-bZ-AngrySalsa

Christmas man
Staff member
-bZ- Member
BF4 Admin
We don't have vote kick/ban as it would be too easy for people to abuse it.
Far as reporting goes, your best bet is to report on the forums as we like to have any and all evidence present and keep everything transparent.

dek128

Donator
Thanks for the additional perspectives, Angrysalsa, Gooftroopero, Danboom101, SilentGhost, & MrK665.

To refresh my memory, I went over CriscoCube’s posting history on this forum. The vast majority of the threads are about griefing complaints. Since Neonardo has made clear this was never about those complaints, I’m going to ignore them, even though my gut instinct tells me that the volume of griefing complaints played a significant role in “rubbing bZ members the wrong way”. What I’m left with is the following threads:
In my opinion formed from these threads, CriscoCube has been consistently advocating for the betterment of bZ7 and the times he has lost his cool are a clear result of active provocation/trolling from bZ members. More tact is advisable when you’re that visible a player in the community, but lack of that alone is not grounds for summary judgement (like the mute). Again, to be explicit, I’m not privy to private conversations that are being alluded to, but I’m assuming there are clear remedies to prevent that outright (member-to-member blocking is possible on the forum & on Discord, no?).

It is very easy to form an impression based on how a relative stranger is being treated by people you know and therefore implicitly trust. (In this regard, it matters that there is, unfortunately, very little overlap between the bZ community and bZ7 regulars.) Even so, that does not necessarily justify that impression. I have little appetite for ad hominem attacks, and calling someone an “arsehat” is not justified in any context. It is possible to point out bad behavior without resorting to bad behavior yourself.

I hope bZ admins reflect on and reconsider this string of decisions or risk losing the halo of dispassionate judgement that they have cultivated so far.

In any case, people will continue to play the game, either here or elsewhere. New regulars will take the place of old ones like the shedding & birth of leaves. That is simply the way of life.

Pope Alexander VI

-bZ- Member
It is possible to point out bad behavior without resorting to bad behavior yourself.
Here is my two cents. I never cared about Crisco or his drama, but from the way I see it Crisco is solely responsible for his actions. No BZ member or general player is responsible for how he reacts to a situation. His ban is a clear cut one. The simple fact that he posted several libel statements about BZ is a justification for a ban regardless of the context. It is ever so easily forgotten that a majority of Crisco's TK reports were taken care of in his favor because they ignored that the tk was instigated. The person TKd Crisco and regardless of his reasoning it is against the rules. BZ applies the same standards to ever single member and player on its server. Crisco's actions put him in a position that lead to him being banned. There is nothing to be reflected or to be reconsidered because he is responsible for his own actions just like everyone here.

"majority of Crisco's TK reports were taken care of in his favor because they ignored that the tk was instigated."

I don't feel the need to comment on the rest of your post as I'm more interested in neo's response, but I'd actually be interested to see any evidence whatsoever that crisco consistently instigates TKs. This is again a matter of you being misinformed and passing judgment on a player you really know nothing about besides hearsay from other bz members. Crisco "instigating" is playing well or using mortars. In 7 that's all the "justification" griefers need to tk players, and it happens to all of us who play decently well or use support vehicles. It's why Neo joins 7 and within an hour or 2 of mortaring, he's banning that JJ guy for TKs. Last night I played for 4 hours, was griefed 9 times and tked several, never said a word to anyone to "instigate". It's how 7 is. Crisco is just less tolerant of it because it happens more often to him than anyone else I've seen. I've very literally seen him actively taunt people less than 10 times in all the months he's been here.

RazorBites

Donator
Seems to me Crisco speaks with little to no respect thats more the problem and does not understand, his position vs the Admins if the server is not to your liking Leave, maybe run your own server bad mouthing admins
is not the thing to do
ppl forget BZ servers LET US PLAY! we don't have a right to Bust their balls. Players should Play more whine less and have a good time.

Want Drama Watch Oprah!

dek128

Donator
While I agree no bZ member is responsible for how anyone reacts to a situation, the community shares the blame if they are actively provoking / baiting them. It is convenient to paint one person as the scapegoat for the “drama” and be done with the matter by imposing summary judgement. But it also makes it convenient to ignore disrespectful behavior of other actors.

Outside of this context, I have seen such baiting happen on bZ7 against another muted player, GeneralDietrich. I won’t get into the topic of why they were muted - it’s entirely possible there were legitimate grounds for it. What I find concerning is that in multiple games, bZ members, who were well-aware that this player couldn’t respond without getting kicked, resorted to continually harass and troll them in game chat. Few would be comfortable being the target of such behavior. It reflects poorly on the community.

The additional comments that have been made here make it even more obvious to me that the griefing complaints played a key role in molding their opinions of CriscoCube. I would simply request them to reserve judgement until they have played in bZ7 for any significant amount of time. I would be hard pressed to find a single bZ7 regular who finds CriscoCube toxic, or his conduct and gameplay unsportsmanly.

As a simple thought exercise, I invite you to put yourself in the shoes of someone who makes constructive suggestions, plays well, get constantly griefed, follows the protocol for reporting them, and has those reports sit unaddressed for periods of time sufficient for the griefing to continue across multiple days. I guarantee it would sap your “fun” and sour your opinion of the community. You have managed to break someone’s genuine desire to show up and do the right thing, and there is nothing to be proud of about it regardless of the context.

Pope Alexander VI

-bZ- Member
I think I may have been unclear on what I meant by instigation. What I mean by instigation is the sole act of Crisco's playstyle. Some people find it genuinely annoying which incites them to teamkill, which is what is seen in several of the complaints. I'm not listening to hearsay or anyone else for that matter. I genuinely look at the complaints and see how they are handled individually because believe it or not there isn't much gossip about these complaints. It doesn't matter if Crisco did or did not instigate. The person TKd him and that's that. TK is against the rule so you get punished. It is as simple as that. As for you other arguments, I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

While I agree no bZ member is responsible for how anyone reacts to a situation, the community shares the blame if they are actively provoking / baiting them.

The community itself shouldn't have to share any blame for the acts of individuals. It is absurd to impose blame onto everyone in this community for a few people provoking a certain individual. I can tell you from personal experience in working in a professional environment that collective punishment rarely happens. I had to deal with a several belligerent customers in a certain department, but HR didn't blame the entire department for the actions of these few individuals. A majority of Banzore didn't participate in the continual antagonization of Crisco, and those who have were warned to knock it off. Neo has been very clear that he doesn't want anyone antagonizing anyone else.

It is convenient to paint one person as the scapegoat for the “drama” and be done with the matter by imposing summary judgement. But it also makes it convenient to ignore disrespectful behavior of other actors.

The issue with that statement is that Crisco was a significant factor in the drama. His arrogant approach to suggestions and inability to remain tactful put him in precarious situations. For example in the donation forum post, he somewhat tactfully proposed an idea. However, after a couple of admins showed no interest in listening to his suggestion and even outright tell him that his idea was flawed in a thorough post, he still went on being condescending and rude. It ended up with him wanting the last Penis. However, in all the other posts you linked everyone has been nothing, but respectful. Neo resolved Crisco's problems in a professional manner without jeopardizing the integrity of the servers.

The officials at Banzore have been generally nice to Crisco, but Crisco seems to think otherwise. In the donation forum post he said, "Ah yes, why would I expect the community leaders, the ones with access to the servers to do anything with, and access to community fund to actually do anything with". He said that after CR8Z gave him a very respectful and thorough answer on why that isn't doable. The pillar members of our community tried to be patient and understanding with Crisco, but what they got was passive aggressive behaviors from him. You have to look at this from the outside perspective as well. If you see someone reasonably answer someone else's question, but then that person says no you're wrong for xyz, wouldn't you find that annoying? Wouldn't it be annoying to have someone always talk about how their server did this, and you should do exactly as they did because their right and your wrong? Crisco's attitude is extraordinarily polarizing, which is why there is so much drama around him.

As a simple thought exercise, I invite you to put yourself in the shoes of someone who makes constructive suggestions, plays well, get constantly griefed, follows the protocol for reporting them, and has those reports sit unaddressed for periods of time sufficient for the griefing to continue across multiple days. I guarantee it would sap your “fun” and sour your opinion of the community. You have managed to break someone’s genuine desire to show up and do the right thing, and there is nothing to be proud of about it regardless of the context.

That's life. Nothing will always go your way, and to expect it to is simply asinine. You can't control the actions of anything except for your own. You could work hard for everything in your life and loose it all in one second because of factors outside of your control. People can and will treat you like shit so the best you can do is smile and nod. Don't give them the satisfaction of letting them know that they made you angry because that just attracts more negative attention. This isn't about Crisco either. This is about general life. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and move on because in the end it is just a game. When that shit happens to me, I stop playing, take a break to simmer down, and come back. So if I was in that person's shoes I wouldn't let it even reach that point. I wouldn't give them the attention. I wouldn't make a forum post for every intentional TK that ruined my killstreak. I wouldn't go all passive aggressive on the admins because the admins didn't like my idea since it isn't my server.

This is my final post I'll be making on this thread. I've said what I needed to say. If you still disagree then there is no way for either party to change their minds. I couldn't be further remove from any personal vendetta or friendship with Crisco since I have been apathetic towards the situation this entire time. I'm merely posting for the sake of BZ. I personally believe the actions of the current administration were proper to ensure a peaceful community in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.