Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

U.S. Supreme Court: GPS Trackers Are a Form of Search and Seizure

Kratos

-bZ- Member
Donator
Should have they been allowed to do that?

Any thoughts about this?

Dots

-bZ- Forum WHORE!
-bZ- Member
From a basic standpoint, I see no reason this shouldn't fall under the 4th and I have no issue with it. I do, however, think that some of our laws and amendments are in serious need of updating to include the digital age we now live in. That's not to say I want the existing laws to be changed, but rather simply address the MANY grey areas provided us by technology. It is alarming how easy it is in the digital area to exploit the current laws. 

And to anyone who argues against a GPS tracker... Don't do anything in the first place to get heat put on you. 

Of course, knowing our government and the path they seem to be slowly but surely taking (see Britain police state for example) they won't care. If they want to do something, they'll do it. Our government and citizens/criminals are no different in that aspect. If you want something bad enough, you'll make it happen one way or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

-bZ-Outlaw

-bZ- Member
Donator
I agree with dots, the only way laws affect you is if you do bad shit to begin with. If they're tracking me then they're gonna be fucking bored watching me go back and forth from home to work.

-bZ-wakuritz

-bZ- Member
Donator
I disagree.  The "don't do anything bad and you have nothing to worry about" argument is music to a totalitarian government's ears.  Let's take that argument to the extreme.  An officer approaches your home, knocks on the door and tells you you're the lucky winner of a random search.  They enter your home without consent and even though in your mind you are a law abiding citizen, they rack up a dozen minor misdemeanors because there are literally tens of thousands of laws you don't know you break on a daily basis. 

Okay, so lets say you learned and follow each and every law on the books, including the hundreds added each year.  You're perfectly okay with an officer entering your home whenever they want, search your home from top to bottom and leaves you with 2 days worth of cleaning up?  Not me.

Sounds extreme, right!  Identify a legal difference between these scenarios and that of digital privacy.  I want to throat punch anyone who says "well, if you have nothing to hide, what does it matter?"  It matters quite a fucking bit.  Somehow people don't grasp the concept of liberty and privacy.  Many people view them as just another way for bad people to hide shit.  Fuck that.  How about we stop trusting that our government has our best interests at heart and would love nothing more than to strip every freedom we've ever enjoyed under the guise of "keeping us safe from ourselves".

-bZ-wakuritz

-bZ- Member
Donator
Though I will say I agree with Dots on having some sort of amendment process that includes the caveats inherent with the digital age we live in.  Our constitution shall remain fully intact, though.  It's what makes this place great.  If you don't agree, move somewhere else or choke on a bone. 

Kratos

-bZ- Member
Donator
I appreciate the responses, I wanted to see different opinions other than a one-sided view I see at work.