Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Weber 22" w/ SNS Insert vs Pit Barrel Cooker

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
For you grillheads out there, what are your thoughts on this?

I've got a Weber Genesis gas grill that I plan on keeping. I've had it about 10 years, works great, I love it, and I love how durable it is and how easy to use it is.

I've wanted a smoker a long time, or at least the ability to smoke.

I've also wanted more grill space for special occasions when I'm cooking for 15-20 people. Thus, I thought the Weber 22 with the SNS insert would be the way to go.

Then I started reading reviews about the PIt Barrel, and I was really fucking intrigued. You can cook a fuck ton of meat really fast and it's really good. It's just not great at grilling on direct heat.

Just thought I'd come in here and ask before I pull the trigger on my new outdoor toy!

Pit Barrel Cooker

Webber 22

Slow N' Sear insrt (SNS)

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
I have used vertical grills before and wasn't super impressed...I am wondering if the hanging of the meat is what everyone loves...

:)

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
I have used vertical grills before and wasn't super impressed...I am wondering if the hanging of the meat is what everyone loves...

:)
From what I've read and the reviews I've watched, hanging the meat allows for all over even cooking, and you can hang a ton of shit in there vs. on a flat surface. For instance, you can hang 2 15lb briskets in there and it will cook in half the time as a traditional smoker. So they say...

The Weber kettle is find as long as it's not windy and cool outside. It has no insulation and will drop 40 degrees or more in a few seconds. Set up your charcoal using the fuse method. Adjust the smoke dampers to get the temp down to 225. You can adjust the air intake too, but adjusting both is like stepping on the gas and the brakes at the same time. Alternatively, get a pitmaster iq to control the temperature (it only raises the temp to the desired level....won't drop the temp). Get a decent wireless thermometer as well so you can monitor the pit and meat temps when you are away from the smoker (it'll take 8-16 hours to smoke a brisket, depending on the size). The pit barrel is find and you can make one for under $100 if you scrounge. They are better known as a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker). I'm nearly done with mine. Or, if you want to avoid all that and set it and forget it, get a Masterbuilt electric smoker. It's insulated, will maintain the desired temperature, burns wood pellets and runs around $130 for the low end model. A lot of people like them. I prefer charcoal and wood chunks, but that's just me. You can also try the Weber bullet.

The insert is not needed - just just the coals to one side. And you would typically only do this when you're grilling, not smoking.