Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

WIFI Questions

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
SO...I am starting to think WAP and router combos are just always

going to be low budget materials and highway robbery pricing.

So with this in mind I am buying an Enterprise WAP to try out in my home.

If this works good I will be helping lots of friends and family upgrade their WIFI as well.

If anyone has a WAP they like please post it here...

I will do a full review on this WAP once it comes in.

Here is the link of what I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Enterprise-System-UAP-AC-LITE-US/dp/B015PR20GY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457794833&sr=8-1&keywords=unifi+ac+lite

Enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

YoshiBishi

-bZ- Code Monkey
Donator
You can use one controller to run multiple sites.  I manage every family member's wireless network for them off of my controller.

PROACEX1

-bZ- Member
Donator
I wish I still had a house to try these out. Up at work we have aironet 2700s and I hate the range on em and variable signal strength . My laptop always switches every hour or two even after messing with the search settings on my WiFi card. The load is minimal as well, less then eight connected devices on an enterprise-grade WAP.

Or just do this:

N3ipEmw.jpg

Kratos

-bZ- Member
Donator
I wish I still had a house to try these out. Up at work we have aironet 2700s and I hate the range on em and variable signal strength . My laptop always switches every hour or two even after messing with the search settings on my WiFi card. The load is minimal as well, less then eight connected devices on an enterprise-grade WAP.

Or just do this:

N3ipEmw.jpg

I see the problem..... the yellow one is facing west and the red one is facing clockwise also the white one is in the wrong slot.

PROACEX1

-bZ- Member
Donator
Ha-ha, it wasn't me.  We have guys whose entire job is cabling and patching.

I used to do that for small business blades. Honestly my fingers weren't that nimble. So it went slowly. But it looked pretty at least! Helps to be a little bit OCD though of course.

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
Update....I converted the phone jack in my office and kitchen and master bedroom into data jacks.

I have connection between my office and the kitchen and the upstairs but I am lost to where it all connects.

I have one cable in my office and 2 in my Kitchen and 2 in the master bedroom...

only one jack in both kitchen and MB show hot when I plug in my office jack.

I don't have a fluke with me so once I borrow one this weekend I am hoping to unravel the mystery.

I have 2 feeds in my garage so  I assume somewhere the wire is split or joined.

more to come...

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
Any good deals on flat cable??

I need to get some flat cable to run from the upstairs data jack to a switch from where the WAP will be connected.

I will also peer into the attic this weekend to see if the MB data wire is exposed in the roof.

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
I will start unboxing the Unifi  AP and playing with it on Friday.

I  am going to get some cable from work so I can test the unit in diff mounting spots...

I need to start digging for the software to download and setup...

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
Today I started to play with the new AP and I have to say this AP is awesome.

I noticed that my speed for my uplink was only 100 FD and not 1000 FD and after some triage I realized the issue is not the POE injector but my wiring infra here at my house...When I wire the AP straight to my router with the poe injector it shows a 1000 MB feed. Once I start to use the inside data wires in my house the speed gets chopped to 100 MB. This is very frustrating but hopefully with a fluke and some testers I  should be able to see what is causing this...

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
UI is very nice and easy to use.

It is sort of Enterprise feelish so for a novice or noob this maybe a bit much.

UI beeped at me saying the AP needed a firmware update and minutes later I was done...

PROACEX1

-bZ- Member
Donator
Today I started to play with the new AP and I have to say this AP is awesome.

I noticed that my speed for my uplink was only 100 FD and not 1000 FD and after some triage I realized the issue is not the POE injector but my wiring infra here at my house...When I wire the AP straight to my router with the poe injector it shows a 1000 MB feed. Once I start to use the inside data wires in my house the speed gets chopped to 100 MB. This is very frustrating but hopefully with a fluke and some testers I  should be able to see what is causing this...

what kinda cable do you run?  is it diy or a clipped rj45? may have to recheck every head and ensure the  color is good if it is cat 6/cat 6e and rated at 1000mbs and the switch is the same. sometimes if a head is bad that can happen..otherwise it is the config.