Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

got my refund for my GTX 970

jlewis709

Sergeant
here is the transcript. If anyone else bought one i would just copy mine and use it.

finial price for my card was $230 after the 20% refund and amazons promo $50 gift card for buying the card. 

the bitch couldn't do math and almost shorted me. i left her a shitty review

Me:usable memory of the card was lower than advertised

Hi, after purchasing the Nvidia GTX 970 I found out that Nvidia admitted that the actual, usable memory of the card was lower than advertised. I have heard Amazon is offering a 20% refund to customers who bought the card without realizing this. Is that a possibility? I really like the item and would rather not return it, but I do not think the original price of the item was fair given the findings.

Amazon:Hi, thank you for contacting Amazon.com chat support, my name is Yanique. I am really sorry that memory storage on the card is lower than advertise. i will be happy to help.

May I have the name on your account?

Me:john lewis

Amazon:Thank you. Your email address is [email protected], correct?

Me:yes

Amazon:Thank you John

May i have the order number please

Me:Order# ************

Amazon:Thank you John

I am really sorry that the item is not as advertise, not to worry I understand not wanting to return the item. I am refunding the 20% off the item

Me:thankyou

Amazon:You are most welcome John, The 20% refund is a total of $31.17

Me:the price was $349.99 20% is $70

Amazon:Ohh my bad John IO was checking the wrong item. I am really sorry about that

Me:good thing im good at math

Amazon: :) , thank you

Me:do you need any other information

Amazon:No, that is it. I have requested the refund for you and you will see the refund in your account within the next 2-3 business days.

Me:will it be in the form of a gift card? o r credit to my amazon store card?

Amazon:The refund will go back to your amazon store card.

-bZ-wakuritz

Staff member
Corporal
Donator
Wait, wtf...did she say "my bad"?  Wow, how can you "accidentally" look at the wrong item.  Did you have multiple items on that specific order?

Kratos

Corporal
Donator
You could have saved me alot time of reading this fine piece of work x and just said Amazon fkd up my order and gave me money back.

Nonetheless that's fooken awesome!

Dots

-bZ- Forum WHORE!
Private
What's the actual memory then? Curious to know how much the difference is.

-bZ-wakuritz

Staff member
Corporal
Donator
There is physically 4GB of memory on the board, but the allocation is such that only 3.5 is usable effectively.  Once it exceeds 3.5GB, performance plummets.

-bZ-wakuritz

Staff member
Corporal
Donator
If you can read and comprehend the second page of that article while drunk, then our forums shouldn't pose a threat.

jlewis709

Sergeant
Wait, wtf...did she say "my bad"?  Wow, how can you "accidentally" look at the wrong item.  Did you have multiple items on that specific order?
no i didnt, that was purchased separate from the rest of my build. i left negative feed back on the customer service rep. however that was awesome amazon would refund something that wasn't even there fault. 

Dots

-bZ- Forum WHORE!
Private
Yeah Amazon is pretty spot on with their refunds/issues. Individual people...most of the time you're good. She just sounds like a ditz or someone who was tired.

PROACEX1

Sergeant
Donator
She was a bit ditzy but I doubt she natively spoke English, Amazon's off-shift (night/weekend) CS will be in India for the chat function most often then not. I always give the total price for the product and specify roughly what the refund amount should be and let the CS agree with me or not. Learned that working with Newegg for years.

In other news: The lawsuit against NVIDIA started a week ago.

FYI, if you want to get your refund in, you need to do it ASAP (Unless you live in the UK) as the advertising is being updated to properly reflect the working physical memory that isn't gimped. That means that once the advertising is update, they won't feel the need to do refunds, or partial refunds at that.

In another month or less you'll have to join a class action to get a refund as Amazon, Newegg, and the other online retails won't be fronting NVIDIA's cost for the fuckup.

Last edited by a moderator:

PROACEX1

Sergeant
Donator
Wonder if this will work with Newegg? Got mine from them.
Newegg's policy is to have the card RMA'd and your money back in full. They don't do partial refunds normally.

Talk with a CS Supervisor and see what they can do. Sometimes it works, but no guarantees.

Both Newegg and Amazon have had some issues with the partial refund policy across the board.

Throw in this link to help them "remember" the situation:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887142/amazon-newegg-apparently-offering-refunds-due-to-nvidia-gtx-970-memory-issue.html

To be perfectly honest, everyone is better off just doing a full RMA and buying a different GPU.

First: that partial RMA means you will not be getting a full RMA 99% of the time. So if the card goes kaput, it will be between you and the vendor, not Amazon or Newegg as they have already fulfilled their end of the warranty.

Secondly: Driver updates are not going to be able to resolve the 970's performance issue with that last 512mb for a while (From what the technical engineers have stated, they are essentially going to inactivate that part of the chip and have the GPU register as a 3.46Gb card, so the 970 will never be a true 4Gb card). Granted, it is a rare occurrence and only happens with specific games that actually utilize more then 3.5Gb of graphics memory.

Thirdly: The same engineers are stating this is a feature: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/02/24/gtx-970/

They just went full retard. Never go full retard.

Last edited by a moderator: