Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Microsoft Windows widespread BSOD today 19 July 2024

-bZ-LongTrang1

-bZ- Member
Donator
The nice people at CrowdStrike are taking it in the shorts for possibly causing a widespread BSOD and Windows outage worldwide. Go to any news site for more info on how massively fucked up this is.

Supposedly a CrowdStrike driver file is bad and it got sent out with an update. A minority of folks are saying the driver file looks like it was made in Russia and that this is really a cyberattack from everyone's favorite Evil Empire.

Either way, it's a reason to call in sick and play BF4 all day!

Happy Friday! ;)

Mobius.jpeg

40mm enthusiast
Staff member
-bZ- Member
BF4 Admin
The more I look into this, the more I am truly thankful that we don’t use this at my work.

-bZ-LongTrang1

-bZ- Member
Donator
The more I look into this, the more I am truly thankful that we don’t use this at my work.

CrowdStrike was just the delivery platform for this malware package. Next time it'll be something else that your organization or mine trusts with doing their own updates.

Hospitals are being impacted by this thing and before end of day we will take more casualties than Ukraine will today.

CrowdStrike was just the delivery platform for this malware package. Next time it'll be something else that your organization or mine trusts with doing their own updates.

Hospitals are being impacted by this thing and before end of day we will take more casualties than Ukraine will today.
The sheer levels of incompetence we are witnessing around America and Europe’s critical infrastructure is criminal. I am honestly surprised something like this didn’t happen sooner.

FluffMuffin94

-bZ- Member
The sheer levels of incompetence we are witnessing around America and Europe’s critical infrastructure is criminal. I am honestly surprised something like this didn’t happen sooner.

People working government jobs are literally fucking incompetent. In every nation. There is a reason they work for the government, it's because they can't work in the private sector and make better money, because they are incompetent.

Mobius.jpeg

40mm enthusiast
Staff member
-bZ- Member
BF4 Admin
On the one hand, I get to blame Microsoft for everyone’s problems. On the other hand, Microsoft is to blame for all the problems.

-bZ-LongTrang1

-bZ- Member
Donator

It's a cultural thing. Computers in the 1980's started out in the popular office culture as accounting tools that were maintained by the fringey odd people in the office. Management for the most part took none of this seriously.

That culture has persisted and it's still the case that management (any management) refuses to see IT and Information Security as anything aside from cost centers and impediments to getting things done.

Thus we see that CrowdStrike management had no problems hiring people off the street to write code and then having their untested code tested in widespread production. People are bragging about being hired at CrowdStrike and publishing code just five to eight days after their hire date.

Brilliant.

People are bragging about being hired at CrowdStrike and publishing code just five to eight days after their hire date
okay, thats...horrifying. i wasn't publishing shit when i first started coding at my job, took me like 3 months before i started putting out more than 'baby's first steps' kinda code lol. and yeah, management almost always sees IT as an annoying expense, and completely forget about the fact that the business cut 20% of all employees and somehow HR didnt lose a single one. I've heard FAANG peer reviews are legendarily difficult to pass on the first merge attempt, with the exception of amazon.

Mobius.jpeg

40mm enthusiast
Staff member
-bZ- Member
BF4 Admin
That culture has persisted and it's still the case that management (any management) refuses to see IT and Information Security as anything aside from cost centers and impediments to getting things done.

I disagree with the “any management” bit. Is it highly common? Yes. Is it all management? No there’s always a company out there somewhere that values their IT division as they should. My current company is like this, our whole of IT basically has free rein and a blank check to make whatever we need to happen, happen. I have never once been told that we’re trying to cut costs or that there’s “budget” constraints. We do what we want and our executives trust that whatever we need to do is for the greater good of the company, it’s absolutely amazing.

One of my previous jobs though? Holy fucking shit was there an assload of red tape and bureaucracy and “budgets” and “we can’t afford this” (even though they control the value of the dollar itself). We were once told to give a tour to some executives so that they could comprehend what our purpose even was (they still didn’t care lol).

-bZ-LongTrang1

-bZ- Member
Donator
I disagree with the “any management” bit. Is it highly common? Yes. Is it all management? No there’s always a company out there somewhere that values their IT division as they should. My current company is like this, our whole of IT basically has free rein and a blank check to make whatever we need to happen, happen. I have never once been told that we’re trying to cut costs or that there’s “budget” constraints. We do what we want and our executives trust that whatever we need to do is for the greater good of the company, it’s absolutely amazing.

One of my previous jobs though? Holy fucking shit was there an assload of red tape and bureaucracy and “budgets” and “we can’t afford this” (even though they control the value of the dollar itself). We were once told to give a tour to some executives so that they could comprehend what our purpose even was (they still didn’t care lol).

I guess I'm just accustomed to cunt management.

Hospitals are being impacted by this thing and before end of day we will take more casualties than Ukraine will totoday.
I can confirm this. Was at the kaiser urgent care center today and they confirmed majority of the online systems is down.

Met a cute doctor with an amazing tan and hair lol. She couldn't stop smiling after I said that.