Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

BF 2042 Patch #2 is out

Maybe I missed it but still seems to be no mentioning of a scoreboard, team switching, VOIP, or even a simple chat feature. How something as fundamental to multiplayer FPS games as a scoreboard was ( consciously? ) left out of the game boggles my mind. Still I'll probably get it some time next month when I get some extra money.

SKalber

-bZ- Member
I understand your feelings on this. There is a chat feature in game and for use with the people on your friends list. The no scoreboard issue seems like a conscious effort on the part of the devs to take the focus off of looking at kills and comparing that to others on both teams during the game. That also limits or prevents the ability of one to see others' pings as well. This choice, in my opinion focuses the game on the teamwork aspect of the game (which is one of the hallmarks of Battlefield games) and also stops people from looking at ping and complaining about players with high pings. It puts the focus on the teamwork and the gameplay not everyone's frag rate, good or bad, I have gotten used to that. I have to believe that VOIP would be added at some point. That would assist squads with communication. There are some squad controls that are missing, like the ability of the squad leader to give the squad leader position to someone else or the ability to kick players from the squad. The team switch ability is also not there.

With all that said, if the Battlefield developers kept making the game the same as the last iterations of the series I think it would get boring. I like this game and I would recommend it, just don't expect it to be just like a previous Battlefield game. With that being said, with it being the 3rd Battlefield game released since BF4 it definitely feels the most like BF4 of the 3. I have a lot of fun playing it and have no regrets playing it. I look forward to catching you guys online.

I understand your feelings on this. There is a chat feature in game and for use with the people on your friends list. The no scoreboard issue seems like a conscious effort on the part of the devs to take the focus off of looking at kills and comparing that to others on both teams during the game. That also limits or prevents the ability of one to see others' pings as well. This choice, in my opinion focuses the game on the teamwork aspect of the game (which is one of the hallmarks of Battlefield games) and also stops people from looking at ping and complaining about players with high pings. It puts the focus on the teamwork and the gameplay not everyone's frag rate, good or bad, I have gotten used to that.

I see what you're saying and I agree that the emphasis in Battlefield should be on the team's success rather than individual performance but scoreboards in competitive multiplayer FPS games has been a thing for as long as I can remember - going all the way back to games like Rogue Spear, Medal of Honor Allied Assault, and Battlefield 1942 - and I think that removing that feature is a step in the wrong direction as it diminishes the competitive nature of the game. If the developers want to increase the emphasis on the team play aspect of the game then they should focus on creating and implementing new ways to reward players for proper team play and increase the existing rewards for proper team play. Doing things which assist the team should be just as rewarding, if not more rewarding, than that gained from kills alone. Having not played 2042 yet I can't say if they have done that or not ; if they have then great but if not then I think they should look toward modifying players' behavior through means other than removing a core feature of competitive game play.

The lack of a visible ping is a different matter, and is not as crucial to me as a simple scoreboard but I do think it's still something which should be included. While complaints about players' pings can be overstated and exaggerated there is some validity to them, at least in previous iterations of Battlefield I have played. A significant difference in ping between players can certainly cause the appearance of unusual kills and laggy movements. I know that I have experienced many situations where I've seen myself killed while in a position I would otherwise be safe from harm because the person who has killed me has a much higher ping than I do. This is arguably not an exploit, cheat, or "benefit" to the high-pinged player - I know that I absolutely loathe playing when my ping spikes, although the performance during those occasional spikes may be due to other factors beyond a simple increase in ping - and more just a result of the way that the game has to compromise between server-side and client-side kill detection but it is irritating sometimes. Seeing one's own ping can also help to determine connection-related performance issues for the user.

The lack of a more comprehensive chat feature is either an attempt by the developers to censor communication between players - likely as well-meaning means to diminish the toxcicity within the community - or just an outright neglected inclusion by them due to a rushed nature of the game and the general focus all multi-platform games have on consoles over PCs. If it's the former then I still believe this is another misstep by the developers. Rather than taking a heavy-handed, top-down approach to improving the game's social interactions I think they should have gone with a more community-focused system which allows the community to police itself, specifically by allowing the rental of private servers like has been done in past Battlefields. Frankly the rental of servers is a no-brainer to me : EA makes money, and people get more control over their servers. Just do it exactly how you do it in BF3 and BF4. If it's the latter then I guess that's just the nature of gaming these days.

Additionally I think that a comprehensive chat feature and in-game VOIP - and exclusively VOIP for consoles - allows for better socialization within games. It's difficult to become friendly with people if you can't communicate with them. Hell the entire reason I keep playing on the bz servers, and the reason I am even here writing this now-too-long response is because of the chat system in BF4 : I simply like the people on the server(s) I play on, and the people in this clan who operate them.

I'm sure it seems like I'm just stuck in the past and don't want things to change but really I do want to see 2042 succeed. The setting is very intriguing to me and I do want to play it but I think that the implementation of new features can be seamlessly done without the removal of old ones. Hopefully DICE will also realize this and (re)implement these missing features so that they can then focus solely on fixing things like bugs and balancing issues.

SKalber

-bZ- Member
I appreciate your well thought out and detailed response. You have many excellent points. You can see your own ping and your own and squad stats by hitting the tab button in game. I believe that they have incentivized team play by rewarding your team actions more than kills in the points system. I hear what you are saying about scoreboards, they most definitely have been a big part of FP shooters going way back. I do believe it is and effort to remove as much toxicity from the game as possible and have the players focus on objectives and team goals.
There are a few cool options, the ability to play BF Bad Company 2 and BF3 for example. Also the ability to host your own game with your own custom features (you get lesser XP this way).
I would believe that the game may not be as rushed as maybe that as usual have a deadline (which they actually released 1 month later) and released it anyways. I also believe that at some point they would offer servers for rent as they would be definitely missing out on a money making opportunity. I just think that there is more to come in the way of features; VOIP, squad controls and server rental. I will keep an eye out for those topics and will post in here when I find out more.

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
They actually do have chat. All, team, and party. My problem with the chat box is that it shows up right where my score/kills displays at the end of the round.

Maybe you have your chat disabled, Skalber?

There is no voip. I disabled mine in BF4 anyway, so this wasn't a deal breaker. Discord works just fine with BF2042.

I think the game is worth it. It has a lot of BF qualities that were lacking in WW1 and WW2. I think it's especially worth it if you intend to play with friends in Discord. Squading up is awesome in this game with some great features and gameplay.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the wingsuit, but it really opens up some cool options for flanking and getting around the map.

The operators also don't bother me. I don't really understand why so many people are up in arms about them. You can pick whichever operator your squad needs at any given time with whatever perk they have and keep the same gun loadout throughout the operators, or change them between respawns. The ability to change scopes and muzzles on the fly is also amazing.

The portal experience is pretty cool. You can dial in the game that you want in so many different ways that it will be interesting to see what becomes popular and the creativity that comes along with that. I loaded into Al Alamain from 1942 and thought it was awesome. I'm sure there's more of that to come.

They definitely need dedicated servers run by the community. This game will fail if they don't implement that. COD gets away with it because of the consoles. BF is a PC game and they need to fix that shit, pronto!

There are definitely things missing and things that could be better, but that's always the case. If memory serves, there was quite a bit of bitching on BF4's release and extended on for several years after release. Now it's a great game. I think this one will be, too.

SKalber

-bZ- Member
Is the game worth it at all? I'm seeing the overall rating of 2.5 stars out of 5.
Heavy Duty, CR8Z and I have been playing it and enjoying it. Yes there are some issues but we are having fun. I think it is worth it, but I am not a hard critic but a realist. I think a lot of people out there get an idea of what a new Battlefield game should look or be like and when it doesn't match their expectation then forget it they don't like it. We are passionate about Battlefield!!! The game wil get better. I am not sure many of you remember how messed up BF4 was when it was released.... Look how it turned out. :cool:

Last edited:

SKalber

-bZ- Member
They actually do have chat. All, team, and party. My problem with the chat box is that it shows up right where my score/kills displays at the end of the round.

Maybe you have your chat disabled, Skalber?

There is no voip. I disabled mine in BF4 anyway, so this wasn't a deal breaker. Discord works just fine with BF2042.

I think the game is worth it. It has a lot of BF qualities that were lacking in WW1 and WW2. I think it's especially worth it if you intend to play with friends in Discord. Squading up is awesome in this game with some great features and gameplay.

I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about the wingsuit, but it really opens up some cool options for flanking and getting around the map.

The operators also don't bother me. I don't really understand why so many people are up in arms about them. You can pick whichever operator your squad needs at any given time with whatever perk they have and keep the same gun loadout throughout the operators, or change them between respawns. The ability to change scopes and muzzles on the fly is also amazing.

The portal experience is pretty cool. You can dial in the game that you want in so many different ways that it will be interesting to see what becomes popular and the creativity that comes along with that. I loaded into Al Alamain from 1942 and thought it was awesome. I'm sure there's more of that to come.

They definitely need dedicated servers run by the community. This game will fail if they don't implement that. COD gets away with it because of the consoles. BF is a PC game and they need to fix that shit, pronto!

There are definitely things missing and things that could be better, but that's always the case. If memory serves, there was quite a bit of bitching on BF4's release and extended on for several years after release. Now it's a great game. I think this one will be, too.
My chat box works, I didn't say differently, sorry if my post was unclear. I like your take on BF2042

I see, it seems I was mistaken on the chat missing then? Like I said I have not played it yet so I was only going off of what I had been told. Hopefully whatever extant bugs it has get fixed soon as I do wish to play it.

there is no Global Chat, it is only Team/Squad/Party

and, even though on your end cursing and what not is uncensored, it still censors it to the other players.

On my list of fixes:

HOTAS-JStick support, Hardcore, VOIP ( for when no party or friends online ) for random squads. Squad Control ! for when you get a idiot player and you are SQ leader.