Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Engineers are the smartest people on the planet and Bill Nye's cock tastes like ice cream

Sort of unrelated but recently here in Toronto an entire 85+ story Condo building right downtown just went into arrears because the developers went bankrupt and couldn't pay anyone to finish the build.

They pre-sold hundreds of units at $750,000 and up and now it's a total cluster fuck. Moral is: don't buy newly built property anywhere in Canada...

Last edited:
Sort of unrelated but recently here in Toronto an entire 85+ story Condo building right downtown just went into arrears because the developers went bankrupt and couldn't pay anyone to finish the build.

They pre-sold hundreds of units at $750,000 and up amd now it's a total cluster fuck. Moral is: don't buy newly built property anywhere in Canada...
That was 1 Bloor, right? This building was gonna be cool, I think Canada's first tower with a tuned mass damper at the top to control sway in the wind (basically a giant steel nutsack hanging in the top mechanical room of the building).

Not totally unrelated, tbh:

Some rich dude (Mizrahi) says "I want my penis to be the highlight of the Toronto skyline" and the new grad engineers say "we can do this, in the foot print of a small 100-year old custom men's wear shop and sitting atop a subway line, we just graduated! I am very smart" and run into countless budgetary overruns and structural/design problems.

Been on a couple of these myself, but they weren't 85 floors so they didn't bankrupt themselves, but we had floors (concrete slab) that were 1-2 feet lower than required for infrastructure runs, mechanical rooms thay wouldn't fit air handlers, switchgear, and related equipment.

One particular on Erskine had new grads begin the design, shit was fucked, experienced engineers took over (probably for double the cost, minimum) and said "nah fam, shit too fucked even for us, we out", and that was right around the time I left so I don't know what happened there.

Credentials and titles are not intelligence.

-bZ-LongTrang1

-bZ- Member
Donator
In LA a few years back the engineers determined that a few highway bridges from the 1940's were seismically unsound and required that the bridges be replaced.

Several of the bridges utterly refused to come down. It was comical and sad all at the same time.

So when they 'upgraded' the old Riverside Drive bridge at the 110 and I-5 interchange all they did was wrap a new bridge around the existing structure because they knew the old bridge was way better than anything that would replace it.

That was 1 Bloor, right? This building was gonna be cool, I think Canada's first tower with a tuned mass damper at the top to control sway in the wind (basically a giant steel nutsack hanging in the top mechanical room of the building).

Not totally unrelated, tbh:

Some rich dude (Mizrahi) says "I want my penis to be the highlight of the Toronto skyline" and the new grad engineers say "we can do this, in the foot print of a small 100-year old custom men's wear shop and sitting atop a subway line, we just graduated! I am very smart" and run into countless budgetary overruns and structural/design problems.

Been on a couple of these myself, but they weren't 85 floors so they didn't bankrupt themselves, but we had floors (concrete slab) that were 1-2 feet lower than required for infrastructure runs, mechanical rooms thay wouldn't fit air handlers, switchgear, and related equipment.

One particular on Erskine had new grads begin the design, shit was fucked, experienced engineers took over (probably for double the cost, minimum) and said "nah fam, shit too fucked even for us, we out", and that was right around the time I left so I don't know what happened there.

Credentials and titles are not intelligence.

Yep that's the one, it blows my mind how hilariously short-sighted these development corporations can be. They bought the land for $350 Million dollars, even if they sold all 410 units @ $750,000 (which they didn't) they'd only net the amount they paid for the land and nothing for the actual construction of the building. So yeah they went bankrupt right after construction started lol

-bZ-LongTrang1

-bZ- Member
Donator
Yep that's the one, it blows my mind how hilariously short-sighted these development corporations can be. They bought the land for $350 Million dollars, even if they sold all 410 units @ $750,000 (which they didn't) they'd only net the amount they paid for the land and nothing for the actual construction of the building. So yeah they went bankrupt right after construction started lol

When you see shit like this in business then you know whatever you thought was the goal of the exercise was not the real goal of the exercise. They never intended to build a skyscraper because it doesn't pencil out. But they did want that land for something.

Or else the purpose was to launder $350,000,000 right out in the open. In which case, mission accomplished.