Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Gaming Rig Build Help

Building a new gaming rig and would like any suggestions on what I've picked out already. If anyone sees anything that I probably won't need or could switch to something else to save money but get around the same performance it would be appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500 AT Ball Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.00 @ B&H)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D1 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card ($74.77 @ Compuvest)

Case: NZXT Tempest 410 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS424-98 DVD/CD Writer ($29.98 @ Newegg)

Monitor: Samsung S24B350HL 23.6" Monitor ($199.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Mouse: Logitech G500 Wired Laser Mouse ($51.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1510.61

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-26 22:41 EST-0500)

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
Hey Shane, Good to meet you! I see you in our TS right now playing Taviana.

I don't know much about the ASRock mobo, but I know that you don't want to skimp on the mobo.

I haven't had a sound card since my first computer back in 2000 or something like that, so I don't know anything about those, other than that you don't need one. I guess it depends on what you're doing for sound. I use a 7.1 USB headset that rocks and I have speakers plugged right into the mobo for other than gaming stuff, and it works great.

Don't know anything about Power Color video cards. You don't want to skimp on these either. One of the guys that knows Radeon stuff might know more about it.

I also use the Microsoft keyboard, and I like it alright. The keys are a little "low" or "flat", so it takes some getting used to, but I think my fingers move faster over the keys with less relief between the keys. I've also used a logitech keyboard, but it didn't last long. Others have had them and they last forever. I don't think you'll go wrong with whatever you get.

I'm rocking the G9X mouse, and I love it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... PAodrToAbA

Kazuma

-bZ- Member

Get something higher then 1600, i had 1600 in my 3rd gen i7 and would get loading problems. system would lock up because the ram could not keep up with the cpu

that CPU is good its Ivy Bridge

and for the mobo i would say spend an extra 100 on it and get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813157299

and video card i would not go ati but that up to you. nvidia does partner with alot of games well they are being created so does intel so games are build more for them. i would go with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130834

as for what CR8Z said about the sound card get a headset over that

I would drop that SSD for this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820233395 higher read/write speed

and the operation system i would not go anything lower then Windows 7 Professional

Ok things look pretty good. I would as suggested drop the audio card unless you are an audiophile.

Upgrade the monitor to a 120Hz if you can afford it. The extra speed makes things pop and frames become buttery smooth. This is just eye candy so it's your call as it won't affect performance, just hinder the end product.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001537

CPU is more than enough for most games. Motherboard is a bit overkill unless you plan on adding more gpu over time. I generally don't recommend going with anything more than a dual gpu slot motherboard. The return on the 3 and 4th gpu is minimal in comparison to the 1st and 2nd. Also i question the ability of the new Crossfire/SLI motherboards. Try to find a motherboard that is either one or the other.

Like i told you get a better heat sink for your north and south bridge. If you can find a active cooling solution that is the best if not just mount some extra fans around the bridge locations. Good heat-sinks use lots of copper. Aluminum dissipates heat quickly but cannot take on alot of heat so it builds up close to the heat source. the Copper manages heat better. So Copper core and aluminum fins are fine though all copper is better.

As far as a case goes you might want to look at the Antec P280(what i use) or the Cooler Master HAF. I have started recommending the HAF as it has the components separated from the motherboard chamber and there is alot of cooling for the motherboard chamber.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119265

You should be able to find a cheaper DVD burner as well. Only about 8bucks cheaper but cheaper.

Power Supply tips are to make sure that the cable lengths fit your motherboard case combo. It takes longer leads in a lower mounted PS layout than in a upper mounted PS layout. This PS you have chosen is modular so you should be good.

Ram- You have 3 chips and the MB is a dual channel. Intel moved away from tri channel memory because it wasn't effective. I would suggest buying a 2X4GB kit (8GB total). You are not going to notice any difference above 8 gigs right now unless you run a server. Also you have extra space to upgrade later on your motherboard.

Like i told you on your keyboard and mouse. Get your hands on them and size them up for comfort. Most mice have the same specs and features the big differences are size, shape, and how many buttons you want. Keyboards are about comfort and speed.

CyberPower ASUS Z77 Configurator (NO MONITOR)

$1457

*BASE_PRICE: [+929]

Case: Apevia X-Dreamer4 Mid-Tow er Gaming Case w / Side-Panel Window , USB 3.0 & Temperature Display (Black Color

w ith Blue LED)

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Default case fans

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All VenomOC Certified)

Cooling Fan: Cooler Master Seidon 120MLiquid Cooling System120MMRadiator (Single Standard 120MMFan)

Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant

Motherboard: * [CrossFireX/SLI] ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w / IRST, Lucid Virtu MVP,

7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCie x1 & 2 PCI (Extreme OC Certified) [+33]

Intel Smart Response Technology for Z77: None

Memory: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [+89] (Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+242] (Major Brand Pow ered by NVIDIA)

Power Supply Upgrade: 800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Pow er Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+29]

Hard Drive: 128GB ADATA SP900 SATA-III6.0Gb/s - 550 MB/s Read & 520 MB/s Write [+41] (Single Drive)

Data Hard Drive: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III6.0Gb/s 7200 RPMHDD [+94] (Single Drive)

Optical Drive: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Netw ork

Keyboard: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse w ith Weight Adjustable Cartridge

Check out http://www.cyberpowerpc.com Amazing Deals on systems! :D