Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

my graphic design resume - opinions [work in progress]

Hawx

You're Never Right!
here is my new graphic design resume I have been working on, just wanted some opinions good or bad

resume3_zpsrnrnpali.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

PROACEX1

-bZ- Member
Donator
Add back in your personal info pl0x. We need to test the phone number and email to ensure potential employers can reach you.

Looks good overall. Throw in an online website url with your portfolio under tools in a separate category and I bet they will enjoy your resume greatly!

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
You refer to yourself in the 1st person on the left, and the 3rd person on the right. It's been awhile, but the last time I put my resume together, I don't believe I referred to myself at all; simply a list of achievements and skills.

I'm guessing you're just asking about format, because you're not listing any work experience, which would be a critical component.

I would either drop the verb tense all together, or at least keep it congruent.

Hawx

You're Never Right!
You refer to yourself in the 1st person on the left, and the 3rd person on the right. It's been awhile, but the last time I put my resume together, I don't believe I referred to myself at all; simply a list of achievements and skills.

I'm guessing you're just asking about format, because you're not listing any work experience, which would be a critical component.

I would either drop the verb tense all together, or at least keep it congruent.
thanks for the feedback, I am still working on the text and details, I don't really have any work history for graphics work so I am trying to focus more on my skills and schooling for right now. I will update this as I go or when I finish so you can see the final result

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
It doesn't matter whether or not your work experience is in design or not. People want to know what you've been doing with your life, and that you have some skills. More to the point, they want to know that you've worked with people and are good at it.

PROACEX1

-bZ- Member
Donator
Make sure to only list jobs you've had for more then a year unless they were internships. Anything less is a big negative for recruiters.

If you talk about yourself, it should only be relevant about what you bring to the company and hope to achieve.

List relevant work experience, from most recent to last. Then list the irrelevant stuff if you have room, namely your longest, most engaging job outside of your field.

Tweak every resume differently. Same with your portfolios. You should have a target audience in mind.
Skip over minor jobs or things that are irrelevant. Those can be mentioned later. This one pager has to get through the electronic scanning system if submitted by paper or the database if submitted online. Every company looks for keywords. Google em, find em, and figure out a way to put em in your resume

Your objective statement is the only section you should mention yourself in. Everything else should be experience or references.

Single sentences only. The only thing longer then that should be outside, specialized jobs, your primary candidate job, and your objective statement. Anything more and they will not care. Anything less and it won't matter.

Format example:
Objective Statement
Work Experience
Education (major, minor, areas of focus)
Activities (only for new out of college students)
References

Make sure LinkedIn account is updated and looks roughly the same, or at least has the same information.

^more or less my notes from my cousin on my mom's side. He's a major consultant and was a recruiter for years in KCMO.
Changed my resume to follow his example and was called by Cerner two days after submitting, interview within a week.

Hawx

You're Never Right!
the biggest issue I have is my past work experience consists of customer service jobs in call centers for the last 14 years and has nothing to do with graphic design whatsoever. The whole purpose of this resume is geared specifically towards graphic design only so I can apply for internships and jobs in the field.  I have been wrestling with what information to include or add and what not to put in...this has been the most difficult process for me on this project.

I will re-evaluate what I have and make some changes based on what you have mentioned here, but it will be minimal info I provide due to what the purpose is of this resume. I have a LinkedIn account, but I NEVER use it and does not serve me any purpose at all...lol

Thanks for the great feedback and help on this, I appreciate it a lot.

Patrick Johnson

-bZ- Member
Donator
You should include all of your work history or potential employers will wonder what you have been up to prior to what you list as a work history. I can email you my last resume if you are interested in something to reference.

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
LinkedIn is becoming every more important. It's the facebook of the professional world, and anybody who is anybody is using it. Definitely update it, as any would be employer will definitely be checking out your linkedin and facebook page. I've read that some employers require that you add the company as friends, so that they can see your shit. 

Dots

-bZ- Forum WHORE!
-bZ- Member
the biggest issue I have is my past work experience consists of customer service jobs in call centers for the last 14 years and has nothing to do with graphic design whatsoever. The whole purpose of this resume is geared specifically towards graphic design only so I can apply for internships and jobs in the field.  I have been wrestling with what information to include or add and what not to put in...this has been the most difficult process for me on this project.

I will re-evaluate what I have and make some changes based on what you have mentioned here, but it will be minimal info I provide due to what the purpose is of this resume. I have a LinkedIn account, but I NEVER use it and does not serve me any purpose at all...lol

Thanks for the great feedback and help on this, I appreciate it a lot.

I can understand wanting to cater it towards this profession to make it more appealing. Regardless, any employer will want to know what you've done previously, even if it's something else. I myself had this issue before I landed an IT job with my current employer. I've done basically every field of work. The main thing is to list duties/attributes of those previous jobs that are relevant to your current one. It may be for graphic design, but things as simple as being able to multitask or handle customers, etc are always good to see in any line of work.

As CR8Z stated, get LinkedIn going if you haven't already. Connections are far more valuable than any amount of experience if you know the right people these days. I've seen people get passed up who have 15+ years of experience to a newbie with promise because he knew the right people. It also lets employers scout you out and in some cases gets some work out of the way immediately.