Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Smoking and Grilling

I really enjoy smoking and grilling in the summertime and I'm sure there are all sorts of people in here who do as well. So I thought I'd share some of my techniques for those who are interested.

(1) Source of info. My favorite resource for grilling and smoking is http://amazingribs.com. Anything you want to know about grilling in smoking is in there from food science to meat selection, and from techniques to dry rubs. It's endless with information.

(2) Smoker - I have a Weber Kettle, which is a primitive form of smoker, but I refuse to pay $800 for a Egg or a Kamado. But it is a relatively cheap, well made product and as long as it is not chilly and windy, it works just fine. (I'm working on a homemade smoker that I think will work for under $200...I'll post on that when/if I ever get done). Using the fuse method, I can run the smoker at 225 for around 12 hours. In order to control the heat, I use a temperature regulator. This thing costs as much or more than the kettle, but it does a great job and there's no need to sit and watch the smoker all day. There are three vents in the bottom of the kettle. You plug 2 and put the cup over the third. Two probes run from the unit into the grill to monitor meat and pit temperature. You set the desired temperature and the unit will run a small fan (about the size of a GPU fan) to get the coals going. When the temperature is where it needs to be, it shuts off. It turns on and off automatically as needed.

(3) Wireless Thermometer. I use a Maverick thermometer. I've had a couple probes go bad for no reason and there may be better devices out there, but this one works reasonably well. Like the temp regulator, it monitors meat and grill temps and you can take the receiver in the house and watch football or game and glance at it from time to time to mare sure the pit temp hasn't gotten out of control and see how the meat is coming along.

(4) Rubs. I use a modified version of Memphis Dust. I can't stand onions, so I leave out the onion powder. Paprika has very little flavor, so I don't worry about it. I don't bother with the ginger and I substitute sage for rosemary. But that's just me; you might enjoy this rub in its original form. This rub works well on beef, pork, and chicken.

(5) Salt. I salt briskets 24 hours in advance. I don't put rubs on though. Salt has been proven to penetrate the meat whereas spices do not.

(6) Beer. Any typical domestic will do, in bottle, can, or glass provided that it is cold.

(7) Brisket. For those of you who have never smoked a brisket before read up in amazingribs.com. I smoke it fat side down to preserve the bark on top. Do not fear the stall; I never use the Texas crutch. Figure on about an hour per pound of smoking time.

BIGWILL

-bZ- Member
Donator
ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh man im comin to eat at your place

i use a mesquite salt rub and like to run dat cherry or alder wood low and slow

Slash5.0

-bZ- Member
Donator
Is there a temp requirement for beef, pork, chicken? How do you know it's ready? I do a lot of grilling I've got a monster sized gas grill and use it at least twice per week or more, but am just now starting to smoke meat. I do not want to use any modern type bs. I'm interested in homemade 55 drum etc kind of smoker or larger, i will build a small smoke house with the new house next year. I love things like bear, etc had some bear/pork (for the fat content) sausage it was awesome smoked but I'm afraid of it not being finished lol. Any good resources for learning that you guys would recommend?
I've done a little hickory smoked London broil but it was also grilled so....not the same lol.

Is there a temp requirement for beef, pork, chicken? How do you know it's ready? I do a lot of grilling I've got a monster sized gas grill and use it at least twice per week or more, but am just now starting to smoke meat. I do not want to use any modern type bs. I'm interested in homemade 55 drum etc kind of smoker or larger, i will build a small smoke house with the new house next year. I love things like bear, etc had some bear/pork (for the fat content) sausage it was awesome smoked but I'm afraid of it not being finished lol. Any good resources for learning that you guys would recommend?
I've done a little hickory smoked London broil but it was also grilled so....not the same lol.

So, for steak, you probably run them up to 145 degrees. But with brisket, you need to run it up to around 200 degrees. The low ans slow heating of the meat breaks down collagen, making it tender. As far as pork and chicken, I usually run those up to the same temp as you would for grilling, namely 155 and 165 (new guidelines for pork say that 145 is sufficient, but I'm a little cautious and run it a little higher).

The best resource is amazingribs.com.

JayhawkinTexas

-bZ- Member
Mesquite smoke penetrates the brisket. I also like apple wood since its a little more subtle than mesquite. You will see smoke rings when you cut open a well smoked brisket. If you want to get the spices inside the meat get an injector. Lighting the smoker up now!