Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Steyr MA-1

Steyr is well-known for their rifles, but very few know about their handguns. They only make one model that you can get in various configurations: subcompact, compact, mid-size and long barrel. The list price is $560, but they can be found for as little as $430. Here's what I like about them:

1. They have a deep, deep tang that make sit feel like your putting your hand in a glove.
2. The tang is also high, reducing the effect of the recoil a little bit.
3. Finger and thumb depression in the grip add to the feel of the gun.
4. The typical sights consist of a triangle at the front and two trapezoids at the rear.

While their sales can't compare to something like a S&W M&P, they have a bit of a cult following and those who own them, have nothing but good to say about them. Here's a 90 second video that shows the features of the handgun, including the sights.

One other thought: they may have changed the grip; it looks like it's stippled now. The one I own is 5 years old and the grip was rather slick. I put some grip tape on it and that fixed it. I reached out to Talon Grips and lobbied them to make some custom grips for the Steyr and they did. Click here.