Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Whatever happened to protein folding?

I remember that was a big thing when I was just a wee nerdy noob, and people would brag about their setups folding more protein than a line cook at Denny's when you order a dozen shitty omelettes.

Did we solve whatever it was we were trying to solve?

Are past protein-folders now just crypto farmers?

Can you Sabre-splain what you mean by this? Is it related to JELQ?

Going back almost 20 years ago now, the medical science community employed the hive mind of computer nerds to download a program that ran some sort of protein-folding simulation in the background while we played BF2 and stole music from Metallica. This collective broadscale simulation was solving something, but I'm not sure exactly what.

Proteins fold themselves in three-dimensional patterns (I think because of electronegativities of the constituent carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and sulpher atoms contained within, or something like that), and these 3D shapes sometimes caused mutations or cancer in our bodies if the shapes were out of the ordinary, or something like that (that's my new catch phrase).

So the supernerds would pimp out with top end CPUs, watercooling, SLI GPUs, and all that, and it was a real point of flexing on your fellow nerds. My PC folds more and faster than yours, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

On gaming, computing, and overclocking forums, everyone had their protein-folding stats in their signatures.

Then I got a job, a car, an a girl friend, so I turned my PC off. Fast forward 20 years, I lost my job, my car, and my girlfriend, turned my PC back on, and no one is protein folding anymore.

Whatever medical question needed answering I guess has been answered, or maybe we just dont care anymore because of Bitcoin and line go up.

Going back almost 20 years ago now, the medical science community employed the hive mind of computer nerds to download a program that ran some sort of protein-folding simulation in the background while we played BF2 and stole music from Metallica. This collective broadscale simulation was solving something, but I'm not sure exactly what.

Proteins fold themselves in three-dimensional patterns (I think because of electronegativities of the constituent carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and sulpher atoms contained within, or something like that), and these 3D shapes sometimes caused mutations or cancer in our bodies if the shapes were out of the ordinary, or something like that (that's my new catch phrase).

So the supernerds would pimp out with top end CPUs, watercooling, SLI GPUs, and all that, and it was a real point of flexing on your fellow nerds. My PC folds more and faster than yours, OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.

On gaming, computing, and overclocking forums, everyone had their protein-folding stats in their signatures.

Then I got a job, a car, an a girl friend, so I turned my PC off. Fast forward 20 years, I lost my job, my car, and my girlfriend, turned my PC back on, and no one is protein folding anymore.

Whatever medical question needed answering I guess has been answered, or maybe we just dont care anymore because of Bitcoin and line g

Whatever medical question needed answering I guess has been answered, or maybe we just dont care anymore because of Bitcoin and line go up.
Well shoot! Dust off that ol “Dana truck” of a pc in the shed. Throwing it back to dual core processors with the BF2 era.

Well I’m sure with your swanky degree you can get a new PC, new car and new GF. Life is a series of new beginnings- you got this!

Better code and computers can do it by itself now without the need of crowdsourced computer nerds. But again the same concept was used for coronavirus inhibitors and got pretty popular on reddit during the pandemic.

Well shoot! Dust off that ol “Dana truck” of a pc in the shed. Throwing it back to dual core processors with the BF2 era.

Well I’m sure with your swanky degree you can get a new PC, new car and new GF. Life is a series of new beginnings- you got this!
Thanks brotherman!

Better code and computers can do it by itself now without the need of crowdsourced computer nerds. But again the same concept was used for coronavirus inhibitors and got pretty popular on reddit during the pandemic.
Ahh, gotcha. Never heard about the corona implementation.

Does this Ben Shapiro has a protein foldable sister??
"Lets say, theoretically, that I wanted to fold my proteins into Ben Shapiro's sister's womanly parts. Wouldn’t it then follow that I, the traditional male in the relationship, should proceed with such an act? Logic would dictate that I, the protein provider should, ipso facto, provide your womanly parts with a significant folding should I not? Lets say that I refuse to do this tonight, lets say I even decide to never fold your proteins again, wouldn’t that mean that I, as a husband in the biblical sense, have not fulfilled my duties? Surely not since, if we were to be both in bed and ready to fold proteins which would imply, as I have already implicated, that doing so would mean you are in fact incorrect about what you have implicated."

-ChatGTP delivering some gold...

"Lets say, theoretically, that I wanted to fold my proteins into Ben Shapiro's sister's womanly parts. Wouldn’t it then follow that I, the traditional male in the relationship, should proceed with such an act? Logic would dictate that I, the protein provider should, ipso facto, provide your womanly parts with a significant folding should I not? Lets say that I refuse to do this tonight, lets say I even decide to never fold your proteins again, wouldn’t that mean that I, as a husband in the biblical sense, have not fulfilled my duties? Surely not since, if we were to be both in bed and ready to fold proteins which would imply, as I have already implicated, that doing so would mean you are in fact incorrect about what you have implicated."

Abby Shapiro has massive tits and I'd be willing to get circumcised to fuck her.

Libs owned.

I remember that was a big thing when I was just a wee nerdy noob, and people would brag about their setups folding more protein than a line cook at Denny's when you order a dozen shitty omelettes.

Did we solve whatever it was we were trying to solve?

Are past protein-folders now just crypto farmers?
you talkin about that SETI stuff? i think BOINC might be what you are talkin about.

you talkin about that SETI stuff? i think BOINC might be what you are talkin about.

Yes, must be BOINC! But I have no recollection of that acronym. I also remember SETI@Home, but I think that was about detecting aliens OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT (fight me).

On the forums I frequented, it was all about protein-folding simulations to answer some questions about mutations in proteins causing diseases and cancer.