Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Boston Butt

I smoke this similar to the way I smoke briskets with respect to temperature and time. I suggest the Boston Butt/Shoulder Blade Roast over the Picnic Ham. Amazingribs recommends the bone-in version since it holds the roast together better.

upload_2017-5-12_13-6-10.png

upload_2017-5-12_13-6-20.png

Slash5.0

-bZ- Member
Donator
Would bone out be ok if tied ?

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
I want to buy a smoke so bad....

We used an Electric one in Colorado and got some nice results!!!

I want to buy a smoke so bad....

We used an Electric one in Colorado and got some nice results!!!

I have a friend who uses a Masertbuilt electric and really likes it. And they're only $130 or so and the regulate the heat...hard to beat....i'm a little sentimental with charcoal, so i keep using the kettle

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
I want to buy a smoker...just need to find a good affordable one near me....
I ditched my gas grill about 2 to 3 years ago and use a charcoal grill...

What a difference that made!!! Whew!!!

You can build an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) for a couple hundred if you can find a use 55 gal drum for cheap. Here's a link to a kit and here's a link to DIY instructions (and you'll have to buy all the parts individually). Otherwise a Weber kettle, like I use, with the fuse method for burning charcoal will work (keeping in mind that I also use a temp regulator). Some people have made them out of old filing cabinets.

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
I found the Weber at home Depot for $150.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
I want to get one with the fire box on the side I think.

I found the Weber at home Depot for $150.

The plain vanilla one is $150. If you get that one, then you'll want to build a side table or get a cart. I have the performer with the side table and it helps to have that space. I don't know that it worth another $250 (I don't think I paid that much for mine, but it's been a few years). You can get a tool cart from harbor freight for $30 on sale or one with a drawer for $70. Incidentally, just because I use a weber kettle doesn't mean that I recommend it; the kettle is simply what I have at the moment and what I work with. If you want ot smoke on a budget, then I would suggest buying a cheap, used grill, using offset heat, and using a temperature regulator.

As far as offset smokers go, they seem popular with various people, but they are not recommended by the experts (at least not the cheap one). Check out this thread for more info. And here is a rating/review from amazingribs.com.