Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

DSL AND DSL MODEMS QUESTIONS...PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN!!!

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
I am thinking about switching to CenturyLink DSL Internet Service...Basically I have been told that the DSL Internet service I would receive would not be shared like the Cable Internet Service I currently have...so I have some questions I am hoping you guys can help me answer!!

1st Question : What's fastest ping and or MB/s download speeds that you guys (DSL users) are experiencing?

2nd Question : What kind of DSL modem are you using?Brand? Model?

3rd Question: What is the fastest DSL modem your carrier supports?

4th Question: Any pluses or minuses that you would like to share about the DSL Experience?

Thanks guys in advance for your help!!!

HILLBILLY

FORUM BAD ASS
-bZ- Member
1. 1122839935.png

2. 2wire 3800hgv-b

3. no idea

4. not any real +\- , just never had a problem with lag or connection real happy with it so far.

6. mine is thru ATT Uverse

T4gUr1t

-bZ- Member
I am running Comcast Cable

Connecting to Boston -1542511660.png

Connecting to Manchester - 1542540812.png

I once decided to downgrade to Verizon DSL the highest speeds they had and I had it set up for all of 45 min.

Once it was fully set up I tried running some games and I couldn't do crap. Not sure if it is just Verizon fail or what but I am not a fan of DSL at all. I don't think Cable shares a link speed with others around I live in an apartment and I am getting the speeds I posted above at peak hours.

I have a 6meg connection through AT&T ($35 / month) and a 12meg connection through Charter at the moment ($30 / month).

AT&T was pretty good for quite a long time, but I think lately they have overloaded the hub, I tried changing my modem & router, I also re-ran solid copper wire from my box to the modem, but nothing helps my connection issues now.

Let me know if you are changing from cable to DSL, I have a D-Link DSL-520B modem that works really good if you want one cheap (less than 6 months old)...

http://www.globalcomputer.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6799090&CatId=571

Charter 12meg service to Dallas:

1542572850.png

Charter 12meg servive to Atlanta:

1542574792.png

AT&T / SBC 6meg service to Dallas:

1542566699.png

AT&T / SBC 6meg service to Atlanta:

1542568173.png

My Charter service flucuates alot, usually between 12meg to 60meg download speeds, where as ATT / SBC is always reliable at 5meg to 5 1/2meg download speeds...

T4gUr1t

-bZ- Member
you also have to look at the distance to the servers your connecting too.

Dallas is approx 850 mi where as Atlanta is approx 700 mi

HILLBILLY

FORUM BAD ASS
-bZ- Member
HILLBILLY said:
1. 1122839935.png2. 2wire 3800hgv-b

3. no idea

4. not any real +\- , just never had a problem with lag or connection real happy with it so far.

6. mine is thru ATT Uverse
I only pay for a max 18 Mb/s dl , and mine stays constant at all times of the day. Viva DSL !!!!!

Billybong said:
THIS IS ALL JUST MY 2 CENTS AND FROM MY EXPERIENCE IN THE IT INDUSTRY FOR 12 YEARS.

You are correct, DSL is a straight line to the phone company unlike on a "LAN" like cable.

The problem with DSL is that is uses the phone line. Every phone line has 4 copper wires in it.

The phone uses 2, leaving two free, so DSL uses the other 2. The problem with that is conductance.

There is less copper for DSL to transfer data over than there is for cable (leading to higher bandwidth rates for cable.)

Also because the DSL uses the phone line you have to put filters on your phones and fax's in order to use them

other wise it will interrupt the DSL signal

1st Question : What's fastest ping and or MB/s download speeds that you guys (DSL users) are

experiencing?

I don't have DSL but I am getting constant 30-35+Mbs, sometimes up to 60 with the right conditions. (cable).

2nd Question : What kind of DSL modem are you using?Brand? Model?

My cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB6120, that's a DOCSIS 3 modem.

3rd Question: What is the fastest DSL modem your carrier supports?

No DSL, cable.

4th Question: Any pluses or minuses that you would like to share about the DSL Experience?

Minus - DSL technology is distance sensitive. Essentially, the longer one's telephone line runs from their house to the phone

company, the less performance they can achieve with DSL compared to neighbors who might live closer

Minus - Speed: I have never seen a DSL ISP ever be able to match the speed that a Cable ISP can provide.

I am sure I have more but my brain hurts. Again this is all just my honest opinion.

Of course all this is trumped by the all might FIBER OPTIC, if I had the money that is what I would go with.

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
This is my speed prior to router restart...

1568553846.png

After router restart

1568556453.png