Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

In need of a ping limiter on one of your severs.

The hardcore Metro/Locker/pearl market server has a large enough regular player base that the implementation of a ping limiter would not kill it. The negative effects that a player with a high ping has on the others with relatively decent ping is actually quite detrimental. I am no IT expert but from the best of my research I have found out that dice implemented lag compensation which in turn attempts to mediate between a low and high ping while the high ping will still have the advantage of time to see player when going around a corner they are obviously still at a disadvantage with getting shot after getting behind cover. Considering the maps you run this server on it has a lot to do with "time to see player" (CQB).
Anyways thanks if you consider this on your server.

neonardo1

Staff member
Senior Admin
-bZ- Member
The hardcore Metro/Locker/pearl market server has a large enough regular player base that the implementation of a ping limiter would not kill it. The negative effects that a player with a high ping has on the others with relatively decent ping is actually quite detrimental. I am no IT expert but from the best of my research I have found out that dice implemented lag compensation which in turn attempts to mediate between a low and high ping while the high ping will still have the advantage of time to see player when going around a corner they are obviously still at a disadvantage with getting shot after getting behind cover. Considering the maps you run this server on it has a lot to do with "time to see player" (CQB).
Anyways thanks if you consider this on your server.

The server does not "wait" on a player with a high ping.

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
The ping represents the latency a client experiences when connected to the server. This effects only the client.

I.e., my 90 ping has nothing to do with your 300 ping because we are on different computers and in different locations. The server never moves, although traffic to and from the server may fluctuate depending on the time of day and maintenance on any number of hubs that the signal passes through.

Similarly, my computers' hardware will not affect your gaming experience because we have two separate computers.

I may have a slightly greater/lesser advantage with a lower ping. I may have a slightly greater/lesser advantage with better hardware. Neither of these effects another player.

If anything, maybe we should throw a ping inducer on there so that everyone has a minimum ping. Say, 100. Add latency to people that live too close to the server to level the playing field! (Just kidding, of course!)

So, what benefit could we get from adding a ping limiter to the server?

Well, we would alienate our members and pubbers that live x-miles away from the server, members and pubbers that otherwise contribute gg's and have a great time on the server.

The only other benefit would be a misconceived perception that limiting the ping would help. Help what, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that there is a perception that it would help something because we've had this discussion ad nauseam for many many years.

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
Sorry, just reread your original post, and I don't think it works like that. A high ping on your computer would mean that you experience events on the server AFTER they have already happened, or within milliseconds of when they occurred. That would be the LAG.

Thus, a client with a high ping rounding a corner may suddenly find themselves dead because somebody with a low ping saw them at the corner before the high ping client finished going around. This is an advantage for the client with a low ping, not the other way around.

If I recall, the big argument for a ping limiter was because everyone thought that the high ping clients were causing the server to lag in general. We did put a limiter on it to no effect. Changing the server company or the box location is what actually helped with that. The high ping conspiracy is a farce.

DICE and EA both confirmed the "Logical" medium between high and low pings was nefarious at causing a huge issue and its impact was minimal to almost ZERO

okay i understand your point about people that have contributed to the server and agree. I lack the networking knowledge needed to prove my theory so there is no need to continue. Judging by some of the guys i have overheard of in the TS, I am confident that if they felt it would make an improvement it would be implemented. It is your server so i am happy either way as long as it stays up boiz ;D