Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Need a new Motherboard

Hello Everyone and I'm seeking help for a new Mobo.

My new build from last year right as the parts hoarding began consist of the follow components
*i do plan on overlooking everything with a new mobo

Cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and is OC to 4.3hz and very stable
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600
Mobo: MSI PRO B450M PRO-M2 MAX "was only thing available and was Ryzen 5 ready
Gpu: sadly is a EVGA 750 TI FTW
Power supply: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+

Storage:
"Main" Intel 660P 512 Gb Solid State Drive - M.2 2280
SSDPatriot Burst 2.5" 240GB SATA III
1tb of mechanical

Case/Cooling: Well, 2008 era for the moment Still kicking though!

I might upgrade the Cpu sometime this year a 4th gen Ryzen "Might" GPU for sure though. Any and suggestions are very appreciated. Bare in mind it will need to be 4th gen Ryzen compatible and I'm ok if need to do bios upgrade in order to work.

PC used for: Playing BF4 and future BF's. 4kVideo editing, Online business. Old system was from 2008 DDR2 era so this is a huge step up for me.

Last edited:

Pope Alexander VI

-bZ- Member
Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite (Cheaper x570 board with expected features)
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro (Overall Great Motherboard)
MSI MEG x570 Unify (Overall Good motherboard for overclocking)
ASRock x570 Taichi (Good motherboard if you want x570 features and don't care about overclocking)

I personally suggest the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro over all these boards. It'd be easier to pin down a motherboard with a budget and if there is any intent of extreme overclocking

Mine registered my 3000 at like 2000 something. Had to set it to 2933 in bios

If you get a new one sell me that B450, I am too stupid to bios update mine
Yeah I can sell it to you no problem but if you just lack bios update, there's videos out there on how to do it.

Idk why they didn't include the 3600 ram compatibility lol. I originally had the 3200 but found the 3600 $10 cheaper lol, so I figured why not since it was a new build for me.

Yeah I can sell it to you no problem but if you just lack bios update, there's videos out there on how to do it.

Idk why they didn't include the 3600 ram compatibility lol. I originally had the 3200 but found the 3600 $10 cheaper lol, so I figured why not since it was a new build for me.
I'm retarded

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite (Cheaper x570 board with expected features)
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro (Overall Great Motherboard)
MSI MEG x570 Unify (Overall Good motherboard for overclocking)
ASRock x570 Taichi (Good motherboard if you want x570 features and don't care about overclocking)

I personally suggest the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro over all these boards. It'd be easier to pin down a motherboard with a budget and if there is any intent of extreme overclocking
The 570s the way to go? Also you know if they're Ryzen 5 3600 compatible, I get a bit lost with the backwards compatibility stuff. Especially when new hardware and series rolls out fast these days.

Pope Alexander VI

-bZ- Member
The 570s the way to go? Also you know if they're Ryzen 5 3600 compatible, I get a bit lost with the backwards compatibility stuff. Especially when new hardware and series rolls out fast these days.
Here is a chart showing you compatibility of Ryzen chip sets. It is also compatible with Ryzen 5000 series same with B550

Attachments

• 1611444615295.png
    1611444615295.png
    520.9 KB · Views: 5
Here is a chart showing you compatibility of Ryzen chip sets. It is also compatible with Ryzen 5000 series same with B550
What are your thoughts on these? All are overclockable and digging the asus because it has a Type C port.

Pope Alexander VI

-bZ- Member
In general I'd say stick with B550 boards over x570 since main difference would be a x570 has a gen4 chip set which allows more sata and m.2 ports at a more expensive price. I use a Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO, which is an ITX board. The ATX equivalent would be the B550 Aorus Pro V2

Pope Alexander VI

-bZ- Member
What are your thoughts on these? All are overclockable and digging the asus because it has a Type C port.

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS is a solid board. It isn't fancy by any means, but it'll do the job well enough for overclocking most processors. If by any chance you want to get the 5950x, you'd probably want to get the Gigabyte board as it has a superb VRM.

SilentGhost

-bZ- Member
Donator
So I'm trolling the forum here, mostly out of boredom, and came across your thread.
*i do plan on overlooking everything with a new mobo
I want to say that you really shouldn't do this. Not because you can't, but because there's usually really very little benefit these days, especially with AMD CPUs. I'd only recommend it if you were intent on racing benchmarks. If your objective however is to be able to play games and get actual work done, then AMDs auto-overclocking tools will almost certainly provide you with the same or better performance while also maintaining system stability.

And stability is what you put at risk when you 'take the reigns'.

I have two of these in 2TB capacities. One in my desktop that holds games, and another in a laptop, where it is the sole drive.

The 660p series is great for cheap NVMe storage. It's not fast compared to most NVMe, but that's not really the problem.
The problem is that under sustained writes, however that comes about, will cause drive performance to drop precipitously. Like from >1,000MB/s to ~50MB/s. That's slower than any spinning hard drive made today!

So that's something also to be aware of. I get that there are budget limitations involved, just wanted to share my experience with these.

So I'm trolling the forum here, mostly out of boredom, and came across your thread.

I want to say that you really shouldn't do this. Not because you can't, but because there's usually really very little benefit these days, especially with AMD CPUs. I'd only recommend it if you were intent on racing benchmarks. If your objective however is to be able to play games and get actual work done, then AMDs auto-overclocking tools will almost certainly provide you with the same or better performance while also maintaining system stability.

And stability is what you put at risk when you 'take the reigns'.

I have two of these in 2TB capacities. One in my desktop that holds games, and another in a laptop, where it is the sole drive.

The 660p series is great for cheap NVMe storage. It's not fast compared to most NVMe, but that's not really the problem.
The problem is that under sustained writes, however that comes about, will cause drive performance to drop precipitously. Like from >1,000MB/s to ~50MB/s. That's slower than any spinning hard drive made today!

So that's something also to be aware of. I get that there are budget limitations involved, just wanted to share my experience with these.
Hi silent!

Very interesting point. Truthfully I rather OC everything and leave it that way to get the most of what the components can do. I'm not worried about the lifespan on these components as they can handle the OC but doesn't mean I will put it to the extreme.

Bare in mind my old system was Intel socket 775 ddr2 era! I overclocked that to the max with the stock fan and no issues.

Again I'm just trying to get every bit of performance out of these components. Not only do I play bf4 I also use my pc for my internet store and 4k video editing.

SilentGhost

-bZ- Member
Donator
Again I'm just trying to get every bit of performance out of these components.
I get it. I do.

I have an i9 9900K overclocked to 5.0GHz sitting next to me, with a 360mm AIO with six fans on it.

It's stable, I've checked; if it becomes unstable, I'm ready to take everything down however many notches it takes.

But that's a now... older... Intel setup. Back when they didn't just run as fast as they could.

AMD CPUs generally just run as fast as they can. Newer Intel ones do too.

And cooling is where you want to put your money first. If you cannot keep the CPU cool, you sacrifice stability when trying to overclock. I just pulled out an aging 280mm AIO last year because the CPU was hitting unstable temperatures. Now it's <80c outside of something like Prime95.

I'll also say this: if it works, it works. And that's subjective! I'm just sharing because overclocking as a 'goal' has become extremely overrated. You're generally not 'leaving performance on the table' by relying on the automatic mechanisms for your platform. You're keeping things stable, and stable is good.

Yeah, that sounds like too much 'playing it safe', and yes, saying what I've said in your thread has made me feel old. Still, as a suggestion that you might actually take, I'd recommend doing some objective (benchmarks) comparisons as well as some subjective (how does it 'feel'?) comparisons when you get in whatever hardware you wind up buying.

You may be surprised how close the numbers are and how little difference you feel, if any!

Well now in March of 2021 I've yet to get a replacement MOBO but it is happening as I am helping my brother with his build and he will take my mobo. After extensive research lol, I am concluding that ASRock is the way to go for my needs.

Here's why:
  1. has a least 4 usb 3.2+ ports
  2. Type C port
  3. Supports 3600+ for OC'ing
  4. Realtek ALC1200
  5. Supports 22110 NVME
  6. Supports Ryzen 5k series
I really need #'s 1-3 to be on any board.

Although I only have 2280 Nvme and Ryzen 5 3600, Yes I would love to drop in a 5k Ryzen at some point and possible upgrade the Nvme but some has 2 slots so even better.

I just don't know how good ASRock performs to other boards with max OC'ing and that's what been holding me back and I still continue research.

Example these are the following boards I have my eyes on:
B550 Phantom Gaming 4/acB550 PRO4X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4B550M STEEL LEGEND