Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

No more commander?

Is it me or is there no longer an option to play as commander in ! bZ #2 -- 60Hz HARDCORE Locker/Metro/Pearl. If so, can we please have the Cmdr?

Commander typically messed up the balance of the matches, typically because only one would be on at a time. Flash raising specs, or creating quick deploy, UAV, cruise missile etc all made infantry maps unbalanced. And in 1, the AC130 was just wildly overpowered when there wasn't a second commander to help control the field.

But most of the folks who play Cmdr didnt know what they're doing. I loved being Cmdr and tried to on pearl but that's when I noticed it was gone.

Make commander available again! Besides most of the days there wouldn't be a cmdr.

Even an incompetent commander still has access to unbalanced powers. It doesn't take much experience to know "right click and press UAV" to have a free unkillable spotting tool that spots even inside buildings. Or "right click and click quick deploy" to give a squad a half redeploy wait time. When there are 2 commanders competing, it's a bit better, but that's pretty rare these days, so it usually devolves into one team having a pretty significant advantage.

Ah the things I miss only playing rush. I knew about the other but had no idea you could reduce squad spawn time... one commander doing that for a stacked squad could reallllly imbalance things lol. Too bad, I like the idea of Commander... I think it was in rush really briefly before it got patched out or maybe my memory is crossed.

Ah the things I miss only playing rush. I knew about the other but had no idea you could reduce squad spawn time... one commander doing that for a stacked squad could reallllly imbalance things lol. Too bad, I like the idea of Commander... I think it was in rush really briefly before it got patched out or maybe my memory is crossed.
Yup. Commander can use EMP UAV which makes it impossible to spot any enemy within the large area that the UAV covers (this disables TUGS and the like).
He can use UAV which continuously spots everyone within the area no matter where they are, and it can't be shot out of the sky.
The commander can mark high value targets, which basically means he cna mark anyone with a 6 killstreak or higher and it appears to all allies for 50 seconds and can't be dispelled. You get huge bonus points for killing a HVT.
Commander can use infantry scan, which spots every single person on the entire map for a short time.
He can use vehicle scan which does the same for vehicles.
He can use supply drop which drops an infinite ammo crate that heals, resupplies, and even repairs vehicles. And it also let's people change their kit without redeploying.
He can drop an ATV with vehicle drop.
He can promote a squad which gives them a free level of squad specs.
He can he can use rapid deploy which cuts Spawn wait time in half.
And finally he can use AC130 and Cruise missiles for large amounts of kills and instantly destroying any vehicle it hits in 1 shot. But these can only be accessed in certain maps.

So basically, it imbalances the hell out of any team that has one. And we were having real problems with the AC130 being broken as hell and letting 1 team control every single naval map since boats could be destroyed in 2 hits of the main gun and it would kill anyone repairing in the process.

neonardo1

Staff member
Senior Admin
-bZ- Member
The main reason it got disabled was due to imbalance. It could take a rape-fest and make it totally unplayable killing half the server's population in the process. Some maps have very little way to counter the AC130 (ie no aircraft) rendering them ungodly effective for a team with a commander that held the point giving them the gunship.

Back in the day when there would commonly be a commander on both sides it was more or less OK, but these days it just doesn't quite pan out.

neonardo1

Staff member
Senior Admin
-bZ- Member
I thought we weren't customizing maps? We now are only customizing maps that suit certain player's?
Why don't we put a vote for all the pubbers to weigh in on this? Because remember the pubbers are what make this server.

We are doing things that work, and what we're doing is working.

neonardo1

Staff member
Senior Admin
-bZ- Member
But we are not hearing what the pubbers want. Can we make a customized server that hears what the pubbers want?

We take all opinions into consideration but at the end of the day a small group of us, mostly myself and @assault make the final decision as to what will be beneficial or detrimental to the servers.

-bZ-AngrySalsa

Christmas man
Staff member
-bZ- Member
BF4 Admin
We would rather listen to the silent majority than the Noisy minority. Stats speak volumes Kratos.

Every server costs a good bit of money to run. It's not really viable to have an extra server dedicated to public vote. With commander, it simply wasn't viable and was a severe detriment to the balance of the CQ servers so it made sense to remove. Upsetting a few people at the lack of a feature that was rarely used but always abused is worth the benefit of superior balance.

I don't think anyone here is upset by the question. We are simply explaining why it doesn't work, and when that doesn't satisfy, we are further elaborating.

Dude you are assuming we are upset because we are firmly telling you no. There is a difference . If something is a detriment to the server balance and results in a loss of server population, it doesn't even slightly matter if it upsets a couple people by its absence. The well-being of the server and the vast majority of the players is significantly more important than the very very small amount of players that cared about commander (which I happened to be a part of, but I understand why it's gone).

I'm not seeing that anywhere in this forum, so I can't comment on that. I'm just trying to explain why commander is gone from the CQ servers and unfortunately it doesn't matter if it upsets a few people because it benefits the vast majority.

Angry_Cuban13

Daddy McDick
I’m a regular on #2 and literally the only reason I noticed it was gone was because of this thread. It isn’t a widely used feature and after neo brought up the points he did it makes total sense. I’ve been in matches where the AC130 just hammers the fuck out of anything it sees. It’s annoying and makes the match imbalanced. As a “pubber” I’d say this was a good decision.

-bZ-AngrySalsa

Christmas man
Staff member
-bZ- Member
BF4 Admin
I would like evidence of me attacking you.

When did you become such a contrarian buddy? We used to fuck shit up back in the day, now it seems like you have something against me.

-bZ-AngrySalsa

Christmas man
Staff member
-bZ- Member
BF4 Admin
Im serious, I really don't understand what you mean by me getting mad and talking down to you.