Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

WIFI Questions

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
So I am hoping it is a bad wiring at the connector issue.

I don't think a switch is hidden in my walls but I don't know yet for sure...

I have a gigabit switch that I am feeding the data jack with...

Keep in my mind I converted my phone jacks that are using cat 5e cable to data jacks, so I think somewhere I have a hidden splitter or a bad wire connection.

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
Okay so it looks like one wire from the de marc goes to the kitchen and one wire from the de marc goes to the master bedroom.

The wire in my office looks to be going straight to my master bedroom.

I am thinking I have one of my 4 pairs is having some connectivity issues...

Skullbones

-bZ- Member
Donator
o.k  do I cut the RED wire or the BLUE wire ? there's only 6 sec. before the bomb go's off ?

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
Feeling SO SAD right now....I almost went in to the DC to grab a FLUKE today....

:sad:

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
they used Cat 5 e cable...

My gut feeling is that the blue and orange are spliced together somewhere in the wall. Same goes for blue/white and orange/white... I just need to find that spot so I can unfuck the cable...

-bZ-wakuritz

-bZ- Member
Donator
If running cable from first floor to second floor wasn't so bad I would...

If they were ran during construction, they're likely stapled/fastened to the studs.  If not, they should pull up quite easy.  A 5' x 7/8" flex-bit and a MagnaPull would be the alternative.  It's a lot of effort for an uncertain diagnosis, so make sure you run a jumper to test each section of cable before jumping in.  If it comes to that and you're not familiar with 2-story wall-drops, give me a call.  They can be sketchy the first few times you do it.

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
How about you make a trip here and let's DEW this!!! (Pretty please???)

My concern/fear is that the CAT 5E wire is most likely stapled or fastened and most likely the fastening is shorting the wire...

Another issue is I don't see any walls that line up from both floors...part of me is really tempted to open a huge hole in my office wall to see how horrible this will be...the only problem is I suck at sheet rock repair...and I SUCK at sheet rock texturing...

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
The only way you get better is to do it more. 

I suck pretty bad at it also, but fuck it. Just knock it out and fix yo' shit!

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
CR8Z after reading your post I got totally hyped up and ready to cut open some walls.

BOY I AM GLAD I didn't....

this past Friday I had a friend come over with his FLUKE and got everything mapped out.

It turns out I had a bad patch cable upstairs that was killing my uplink speed.

I got the WAP running 1GB and everything seems to get -60 DB when I walk around to remote places from my house.

I will post some final pics....

YoshiBishi

-bZ- Code Monkey
Donator
Fluke makes some awesome products.  

I think we have one of everything they make.  Our techs use AirCheck, SimpliFiber, LinkSprinter, and VisualFault detector a lot.  Expensive, but saves a lot of time.

Billybong

Staff member
Senior Admin
Donator
Next house I get will have conduit running in each room and I will probably do CAT 6 myself in the house....

I tore apart a CAT 6 cable over the weekend and was truly impressed...