Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Copperpin's report

Between Santa Monica and Ventura it's the PCH. Otherwise in the rest of SoCal it's "The One" and in parts north it's "Route One".

This picture of my car was on the PCH.
I always found the way Californians refer to their highways to be so strange. Imagine referring to I-95 as "The 95" instead of just "95".

-bZ-LongTrang1

-bZ- Member
Donator
I always found the way Californians refer to their highways to be so strange. Imagine referring to I-95 as "The 95" instead of just "95".

This is an LA phenomenon, really.

The reason for it is that before the freeways, highways, and parkways were numbered they had names. And even after the numbers came along the names persisted and the convention for referring to them also persisted.

The Pacific Coast Highway was called this long before it was designated as CA Route 1. And people call it The One.

Or The Hollywood Freeway was also called this long before it was designated as US 101...or The 101.

And The Santa Ana Freeway was called that way before the advent of the Interstate Five designation...or The Five.

Hope that helps!

This is an LA phenomenon, really.

The reason for it is that before the freeways, highways, and parkways were numbered they had names. And even after the numbers came along the names persisted and the convention for referring to them also persisted.

The Pacific Coast Highway was called this long before it was designated as CA Route 1. And people call it The One.

Or The Hollywood Freeway was also called this long before it was designated as US 101...or The 101.

And The Santa Ana Freeway was called that way before the advent of the Interstate Five designation...or The Five.

Hope that helps!
It does. Now we just have to deal with the propensity to call them "freeways" which is admittedly not only endemic to California.