Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

CPU Advice

Here's what I am currently running:

i5-2400 @ 3.10 GHz
24 GB ram
1155 Intel socket (Asus P8Z77-V LK)
GTX 970

I'll put task manger in one screen while I'm playing BF4 and I'll see the CPU run up to 99% in some cases.

I'm not interested in having the coolest CPU on the block; I simply want something that is not overburdened. And I don't wan to replace the mobo. I'm thinking i7-2700k or i7-3770k, but it looks like these are old and only available as used.

Hawx

You're Never Right!
or the 3820...that was my old processor I just had

CR8Z

Bald fat guy.
-bZ- Member
NO! Don't bother with SLI! I think it's more trouble than it's worth. One decent card is better than two shitty cards any day. I would also posit that one really decent card is better than two really decent cards.

I've been running dual 970s in SLI for a couple of years now, and have not really seen any benefit. If anything, it's a hassle. Often times, it drops out of SLI and boots to just one card, and I don't even realize it for some time. (It usually happens after a GPU update.) But the kicker is, I never really noticed when it was one versus two cards running. They were both equally good experiences.

What's more, some games (LOOKING AT YOU BF1!!!) don't really support SLI. They're working on it, I get all kinds of graphical glitches and weird shadows when I'm running SLI. Everything is fine when I'm running one card though. And like I said, some games don't even support SLI so you're only using one card anyway.

My advice and my opinion, don't bother with SLI. It's needless overkill.

I'm running a 970 as well. CR8Z, your comments agree with the little bit that I've read online. And that's good news - no need to spend money on a second card.

So I got the 3770k mounted and the demand dropped to around 60% and hit a max temp of 60 deg Celsius. No more delayed shots, so it has worked out pretty good. Thanks for the advice fellas.

I ran Heaven BM 4.0 (which made me hungry since I make what I like to call "Heaven Potatoes" and they are delicious). Here are my results:

FPS 187
Score 4717
Min FPS 33
Max FPS 343

I'm not an expert on BM's and I had run one for years, but I remember it taking some time. After running this BM for half an hour, I googled the run time on my phone and realized that I had not even started the test; it was only looping the video over and over. Doh! So I guess my score puts me in the middle somewhere.