Welcome to Banzore!

Be part of something great, join today!

Flying Hovercrafts

I've never seen anyone complain that the hovercraft gives one side an "unfair advantage". Choosing a spawnpoint that allows you to easily get shot out of the air while and takes significantly longer to get to point compared to other points isn't advantageous. If anything, the side with the hovercraft is at a disadvantage. Whenever my team had a flying hovercraft, the only time I would spawn on it was if I specifically did not want to play that map and wanted to take the extra time to drop in. Maybe for bz admins there's "no argument", but I genuinely have not seen a single person who actually plays on the server that was supposedly affected who voiced a problem with flying hovercrafts.
Let's put it this way: You are a squad leader. You spawn on the hovercraft. You jump off. You don't immediately open your parachute because you're not an idiot. You skydive down close to the ground and then open your parachute. Your squad spawns on you, maybe one of them places a beacon, maybe not. You attack the point. Your squad fails to take the point but you have pinned down a portion of the enemy team trying to wipe you out.

Up until now you're still in the realm of normal gameplay. Afterwards here is where it starts to become unfair. You keep spawning on that hovercraft. You keep doing the same thing over and over again. Eventually more and more of their team starts defending the point you're attacking. They start to suspect you have a beacon hidden somewhere. They begin to look for it. Their search however will be fruitless since there is no beacon, or if you placed one it is destroyed but you still are able to spawn there because of the hovercraft. Nothing the enemy team does can in any way dislodge you from contesting the point because you still have the hovercraft up in the air acting as an invincible beacon. The problem can become even worse if the guy doing the hovercraft glitch starts to yell to his team in chat "Spawn on my hovercraft, we can take Bravo with it!" While this kind of communication is normally a good thing in this case it is abusing something that the enemy can do nothing about.

Maybe your squad's actions turn the tide of the game and win you the match. Maybe your team is so dogshit that even with your exploitation of the hovercraft you still lose. Maybe your team was dominating the other team anyway that your actions had minimal effect. Whatever the outcome turns out to be the fact remains that you benefited from the actions of a person who abused an unintended effect in the game for which there is no reasonable way to counter it. This last part is the most important : there is no reasonable way to counter it. Many glitches exist in the game which can provide an advantage. Third floor on Metro and voozooing and other movement glitches are just two examples. The difference between those glitches and the hovercraft one is that the hovercraft one can not be countered. Similarly glitching into the mountain or ceiling on Operation Locker is also prohibited because it too can not be countered.

Can you see now how this glitch can affect a game? How it is able to provide a demonstrably unfair advantage - even if it is a small one - to one side over the other?

Maybe banzore's zero-tolerance policy is too much. Perhaps a person can commit this offense in good faith without any ill intentions. Perhaps they even can have committed it without knowing that it was prohibited. But at what point is the line to be drawn? The first offense? Second? Third? The offense which only resulted in a material advantage to the team? What about the offenses which don't result in an advantage? Being inconsistent in an application of your rules is going to create even more headaches and frustration for the players involved. Players will not know what actions they can perform and what actions they can not. Every single second on the server will be wrapped in fear and anxiety that something, somewhere someone does will result in their being banned. This is hardly a way to maintain a population on a server in an already-declining game. In this case the admins have decided to draw the line at the first offense. If you wish to disagree with that then that's fine but failing to understand why the rule exists as well as how it is applied is willfully ignoring the reality of the situation simply because you disagree with the outcome.

Once again you show how much of an idiot you are. This is a terrible comparison. The hovercraft becomes untargetable once it reaches the "maximum" height. It can not be countered by anything except possibly another hovercraft glitcher flying up next to it and shooting it with a rocket. A javelin won't work since you can not use a javelin from the back of the hovercraft. Even if you do manage to accomplish this "counter" you now have another hovercraft up at that maximum glitched height.

The Metro third floor areas are relatively easy to access ( I still struggle with the jumps myself but with enough tries I can get to it if I am not shot while trying to do so ) and do not require any special, limited-availability equipment ( like the hovercrafts ) to reach them. Most importantly however these glitch spots can be easily defeated from users on the ground or even within the buildings themselves. A single, well-placed M320 can net you multiple kills on these third floor spots and destroy any beacons they may be hiding. Frag rounds, XM25s, rockets, and even MAVs can also be used to eliminate these players or beacons.

These two situations are not comparable. One presents a situation where it is virtually impossible to counter it. The other is easily countered in multiple different ways.
i especially wouldn't expect you to understand an abstraction

We've had some disagreements over the past few months but I just wanted to say Merry Christmas to everyone. I didn't have an opportunity until now.

Also an early happy new years, even to you BigBagofSwag. I realize you're just doing your job. The situation sucks but it is what it is, doesn't mean we can't be friends.

You've made that point abundantly clear, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to bitch about it

Helloface, you're awesome hahaha and I definitely appreciate the support. It means a lot

It's not worth it anymore though. I made a massive mistake by not reading through the entire rules thread. They're just enforcing what they've decided on, we can't blame them for that.

Sorry I didn't have an opportunity to game with you guys over the holidays, I'm sure squading up with the guys and some beverages was a blast!

Take care & stay out of trouble ;)

I think the hovercraft glitch is more novelty than anything else. Yeah its an unfair spawn point, for about 4 to 6 minutes, then nobody spawns on it, cuz even at a free jump it takes too long to hit ground....and screw up and pull chute...might as well redeploy. Most people flock to it for about 5 minutes, because even though its old, not many have seen it. But like I said, it becomes, "HEY!! THERE IS A FLYING HOVERCRAFT!!! oh well anyways, back to the game." Not arguing for it, or against, it. Just another thought on it.

ok im sorry i Just thought all glitches that are game breaking aren’t allowed… I look forward to people taking advantage of the „approved“ glitches to cap rear objectives with spawn beacons that are hard to get rid of.

Much sense was made this day.

I think the hovercraft glitch is more novelty than anything else. Yeah its an unfair spawn point, for about 4 to 6 minutes, then nobody spawns on it, cuz even at a free jump it takes too long to hit ground....and screw up and pull chute...might as well redeploy. Most people flock to it for about 5 minutes, because even though its old, not many have seen it. But like I said, it becomes, "HEY!! THERE IS A FLYING HOVERCRAFT!!! oh well anyways, back to the game." Not arguing for it, or against, it. Just another thought on it.
this lul
I'd be willing to bet there has never been a single game in Bz6 decided because of a flying hovercraft. I'm genuinely curious, is there a way to see the win rates of Temp and other astronauts on Mortar and Lost Islands specifically?